Thread: Problem with PSP

zapa Guest

Default Problem with PSP

I use my PC as wireless access point with SoftApp wireless 802.11b/g lan device. My problem is that I can't connect to internet with my Sony PSP when Zone Alarm is on. My PSP says: "Communication with the server failed. A DNS error has occured. (80410410)". If I turn ZoneAlarm off, everything works fine. I have a free version of ZoneAlarm. What should I do to get access to net with my PSP?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Problem with PSP

I don't have a PSP(too poor to buy portable entertainment devices) but see if you can determine what IP the PSP is using and then add that to ZA's trusted zone.

zapa Guest

Thought about that myself, but I think PSP doesn't have IP adress. I know the MAC adress though, but don't know how to get ZA to "trust" that...

unhappy_viewer Guest

You may have to wait for someone who's more familiar with the PSP to help you.

You should also check the PSP forum (surprise! It uses the same forum software as the ZL forums) for help. There have been past questions asked on how to configure ZA. Here's a link to the search results:
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...p;page_size=10

There may be configuration limitations with the free version of ZA.Ultimately, the easiest way to get online is to actually use a wireless router. That way you don't have to go through the computer

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 02-04-200609:35 PM

zapa Guest

Thanks. I'll wait here and meanwhile try the PSP forum...

zapa Guest

No help there either. Allowed the application and
    also allowed
    uncommon protocols at high security and outgoing DNS/DHCP at trusted and internet zones. Nothing seems to solve the problem...

I believe the problem is you are using the free version of ZA. And unless they have changed it recently, the free version doesn't allow ICS (which is what you are doing). To check for sure, turn the internet security in ZA to medium and see if it works.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

missnomi Guest

A friend of mine is having similar problems - being blocked from certain sites. The computer she is using was mine until a few months ago, when I gave it to her daughter. I had ZA Pro on it and never had any problems accessing sites or using the MSN Messenger program. But she can't access ANY Microsoft site or use MSN Messenger when ZA is on. We looked in the Privacy/Site List and every single site she was having problem accessing, was blcoked. I had her remove all of them but leave ZA open. She then tried to go to Hotmail and as soon as she did, all of the MSN sites reappeared as blocked. When she tried researching the idea that her ISP was making this happen, ALL SEARCHES WERE BLOCKED. I was simultaneous doing the EXACT same thing on my computer, and I got through. What I found were a couple articles that accused SBC of intentionall blocking MSN, AOL, Vonage - all major competitors. So she went and tried pulling up those sites - when she did, those sites were then added to the blocked list. I told her to go to some of our local ISP sites (TDS.net, charter.com), and she was able to see them but when she left the page and tried to go back, it was blocked. And yes, automatically added to the list in ZZA.

Because this was my computer for 2 years and I had no such problems, I have concluded that SBC IS causing the problem. Okay, I'll call it a "software conflict", but it means the same...as long as she has SBC, she must choose between using a safe firewall like ZA, or removing it so she can check her hotmail email.

If you search the net, you will find several articles and forums that talk about SBC blocking port 25, disallowing anyone from receiving email from another ISP while using an SBC connection. Still think the problem is ZA? I do not. Research YOUR ISP...see if the parent company leads back to one of the biggies (SBC, AOL, etc.). If so, THAT is most likely your problem. I mean, if AOL can do it (and we know they do), why can any other ISP?

I understand what you are talking about, its fairly well known, BUT, they are trying to get a PSP to work with internet gaming. PlayStationPro. This is a network communication problem, not an internet problem. They can't get past the computer that is doing ICS because the free version of ZA doesn't do ICS.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information