Thread: Guru's: I really need your help with ?'s

cmptr_iliterate Guest

Default Guru's: I really need your help with ?'s

Hello all.
    I
    will finally upgrade from bluelight dial-up to verizon dsl but I need
    to make sure I dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" so to speak.
    Let me explain: I have two desktop pc's that I will be hooking up to the Verizon modem/router that is wired and wireless capable.
    For security, I have chosen to hook both pc's using wires.

1) Now when I hook up the first desktop I expect to see Zonealarm messages asking me to allow/deny etc?
    What type of messages can I
    expect and what do I grant/deny access to?

2) Now when I hook up the second desktop I expect to see more Zonealarm messages but also a "found new network" window to appear (I saw this when my friend did his installation of a 2nd desktop).
    What type of messages can I expect to see, what things should I grant/deny and how should i handle the "found new network" window.
    In addition, should I
    give
    the
    "found new network" a name?

If it helps any with your answers, I only want to hook up these desktops to ONLY share internet access.
    I will frequently check the post for responses and I will reply quickly with responses if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Rochelle

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:5.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Guru's: I really need your help with ?'s

Worry not, you'll get through this. First, shutdown your computers before you hook them up to your DSL modem/router. then boot each computer and Zone Alarm should detect the new connection and ask you if you want to put it in the Internet or Trusted zone; select Trusted zone. Do the same with the second computer. You can name it what you like if you're asked. If you're not asked, you can always change it by editing the entry in your Zones panel. If you want to ever share files, lower the Trusted zone security slider to 'Medium'. If you have any problems, just let us know. BTW, what is "dial-up"?

cmptr_iliterate Guest

Hello Bill:
    Thanks for your advice.
    Being a cmptr_iliterate I have a question that doesn't seem obvious to me.
    1) You mentioned to put it in the Trusted zone rather than the Internet Zone.
    But since, all I will be doing is sharing internet access between the two computers (via a router/modem combo unit), wouldn't I want to set it to "Internet Zone"?

Thanks.Rochelle

billc Guest

Actually I think you'll be better off using the Trusted Zone and still have the same security. Reason being that DSL services often use 'heartbeats' to determine if you are still online and if your DNS & DHCP servers are in the Internet zone, the 'heartbeat' , which is a UDP protocol, will be blocked. That's what happens when you read posts here saying I lose my internet connect after 20 minutes, or whatever. So my opinion is that you'll be better off using the Trusted zone. Remember, only the computers who's IP's are specifically in the Trusted zone can access that zone. You are not opening your machine to hackers, etc. Make sense?

cmptr_iliterate Guest

Hello again Bill:

Makes perfectly good sense to me now.
    On a side note, you wrote, "only the computer who's IP's are specifically in the Trusted Zone can access that zone."
    With that said, when I set up my 2nd desktop will my IP address automatically be put into the Trusted Zone OR do I have to manually put my IP address in the Trusted Zone?
    If I do have to do it manually, how do I?

Thanks so much for your help and I believe after your response I should be prepared to get on my way to installing DSL.

Rochelle.

billc Guest

When you set up your second desktop, Zone Alarm should recognize the new connection and present you with a popup asking which zone you'd like to choose. As before, choose the Trusted zone. If for some reason that does not happen, you can manually add your DNS & DHCP server IP's to the zone. If the modem/router works like a stand alone router, you'll be assigned a LAN address that will look something like this; 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
    .If you have any problems, you can always get help her.

Thread Information