Thread: Automatic Updates (Windows) - NOT website

mfinzel Guest

Default Automatic Updates (Windows) - NOT website

I've seen a lot of posts for fixing issues with the Microsoft Updates website, but none for the automatic updates in Windows. It stopped working for me with ZoneAlarm Pro.

I have the "Automatic Updates" fully allowed, but it is still not working. It doesn't prompt me or anything, it just doesn't work.

The website works fine, but in the past every week it would download updates automatically in Windows, that's what isn't working anymore.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

jarvis Guest

Default Re: Automatic Updates (Windows) - NOT website

Have you given Generic Host Process 3 green checks?

mfinzel Guest

Yes, I did do that before. Doesn't seem to be the problem.

Message Edited by mfinzel on 02-16-200609:13 AM

finge Guest

As of 2/16/06 during a Microsoft Critical Updates attempt, although Microsoft was able to scan the XP computer for it's update list and provide the updates to download, it failed.
    Confirming that Microsoft and the required services
    had full permissions in Zone, and even a removal of these entries for redetect, Microsoft still failed.
    I finally had to go out to safe mode, and delete the IAMDB.RDB and BACKUP.RDB files in C:\Windows\Internet Logs, and after the reboot
    with some
    immediately required permission grants, Microsoft was able to update the computer.
    I wouldn't mind this so much except, in the process, a host of other permissions already previously set have to be redetected and reset per program
    per activity which takes much time.
    Is there a better way to correct this without going through all this?
    Finge

kylem Guest

Default Re: Automatic Updates (Windows) - NOT website for Network Clients of ICS

I have a similiar problem now with Windows updates only on the Network Clients because the Firewall only sees the data being passed to the client through the computer and not to a specific program that should be the svchosts.exe program.
    It want to use port 80 and some other ports for communication but even though the computer addresses are in the Trusted Zone the Firewall still wants to block it on the incoming side.
    Is there some specific info we are missing or is there a problem with the NAT?
    Kyle

Thread Information