Thread: Yet another connection bites the dust...

dandman Guest

Default Yet another connection bites the dust...

I just purchased a new Toshiba Laptop (M65-S9092) that came preloaded with WinXP Media Cntr '05. I already have downloaded all of the latest updates, security patches, rollups, and that sort of thing... I am using ZA (free) version 6.1.737.000. What concerns me is that everytime the laptop sleeps, hibernates, etc, ZoneAlarm doesn't seem to want to let anything access the internet. If I reboot or log off and back on, everything works fine.

One workaround that usually works is to stop zonealarm. Open Firefox and browse a bit, then restart ZA. Not my favorite solution, but it will usually work without forcing me to close everything and relog-in or reboot. Sometimes I have to start and stop ZA several times while browsing in order to solve this issue. The strange thing is that sometimes when the connection is lost, it is lost for only a couple of tabs (no consistency on the sites that have the error).

What I do is stop ZA, click on a link, then restart ZA. The next link I click triggers the access dialoge (allow/deny). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I have to stop and start ZA a few times for the connection to work. Then, I find that even though the connection works on that tab, other tabs in that window will not have access and I will have to go through the same stopping / clicking / restarting cycle until I get a connection with all of the tabs.

I checked the ZA settings and they are set to Med and High respectively for the Trusted Zone and the Internet Zone.

I checked the ZA logs and saw a list of blocked outgoing attempts with the following attributes:
    Type = Firewall
    Protocol = UDP
    Program = svchost.exe
    Source IP = 192.168.1.xxx:xxx [router-assigned IP (all from the Laptop)]:[Various ports]
    Destination IP = 66.75.164.90:53 (if this is a sensitive piece of information, mods please remove it) ---This could be the IP/port of my ISP...?
    Direction = Outgoing
    Action Taken = Blocked
    Destination DNS = dns-lb.orange.rr.com

I have no idea what that last bit is all about. My ISP is Time Warner / Roadrunner (hawaii.rr.com).

I connect to the internet via a wired Linksys router that shares my always-on cable internet connection with other computers that are nearly constantly on. I have read the FAQ that suggests a common problem is the loss of IP addresses, however if my temp IP is assigned by my wired router that is constantly serving a connection to at least ONE computer on this network, I am not sure how I would lose my IP numbers...

Anyone have any ideas?

It seems that this issue comes up rather frequently. If this is such a known issue, why doesn't Zonelabs take this into account in their new releases and/or come out with a version of ZA that is designed for mobile devices?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Message Edited by DanDMan on 02-15-200607:18 PM

jarvis Guest

Default Re: Yet another connection bites the dust...

<blockquote>Type = Firewall
    Protocol = UDP
    Program = svchost.exe
    Source IP = 192.168.1.xxx:xxx [router-assigned IP (all from the Laptop)]:[Various ports]
    Destination IP = 66.75.164.90:53 (if this is a sensitive piece of information, mods please remove it) ---This could be the IP/port of my ISP...?
    Direction = Outgoing
    Action Taken = Blocked
    Destination DNS = dns-lb.orange.rr.com</blockquote>
    That's your ISPs DNS server. Try adding it to the Trusted Zone - you can do that from the Log Viewer by highlighting the blocked connection and pressing Add to Zone>>

Thread Information