Thread: Intermittent Internet Access - Stopping & Re-Starting Internet Activity then fixes the problem

bkg Guest

Default Intermittent Internet Access - Stopping & Re-Starting Internet Activity then fixes the problem

Hi,
    I hope someone can help me with this.
    I am having the problem whereby every now and then my Internet connection will stop working.
    It is not my DSL connection causing the problem as this was not an issue in the past until I installed Zone Alarm Security Suite and my other computer still works fine.
    I have read how it could be an issue with DHCP, DNS or Gateway IP addresses not being in the Trusted Zone so I have added all these devices to the "Trusted" zone and set the security to Medium for this zone.
    I was running proxy DNS on my DLINK DSL604+ Wireless DSL router but have disabled this in case this was causing problems.
    However the connection can fail during mail downloads so I do not think this is the problem.
    I am running DLINK wireless connection from my computer but as mentioned above this had never been an issue in the past.
    I am running NAT on my DLINK router and have also include the router gateway address in the trusted zone.
    I have also enabled the Internet Connection Sharing and set the router gateway address 192.168.0.1 as the Local Address that is used as the NAT gateway.
    All of this is to no avail, my Internet connection continues to intermittently stop and by simply engaging the Internet Lock or stopping Internet activity for a few seconds and simply hitting the web page in question again - away it goes.
    I am at a loss as to why this is happening and as a previous user of Norton's I am wondering if I should pass back to the dark side again.
    Thanks in advance to anyone that can help - cheers Brian G.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Intermittent Internet Access - Stopping & Re-Starting Internet Activity then fixes the problem

Hi bkg
    As you say you have already added the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to tusted zone (if you have DHCP enabled in the router the DHCP this ip should be your interior router ip or the gateway address). I also assume you got the ip's through ipconfig /all.If so try one thing more,in firewall main internet zone security click custom.Then check in both trusted and internet 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'. See if this solves the problem.What you say you did about ICS doesn't sem necessary as you are not using ICS. In firewall, main advanced you should choose the first option 'this computer is not an ICS/NAT network'. This is not very clear but the other options are for ICS that's not your case as your gateway is your router. Anyway the router (and default gateway) ip is already in trusted zone.
    Best regards

bkg Guest

Default Re: Intermittent Internet Access - Stopping & Re-Starting Internet Activity then fixes the problem

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, however re your suggestion:

"so try one thing more,in firewall main internet zone security click custom.Then check in both trusted and internet 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'. See if this solves the problems"

I forgot to mention I have already done this, I assumed this would help but given my fault can happen in the middle of a "download" this cannot be the problem as once the session is established DNS is not required and DHCP is during the IP allocation ARP process so I assumed this was not the problem - tried it anyway but no luck.

However, I will try your suggestion re the ICS/NAT settings and see what happens.

Will advise how I go.

Cheers, Brian.

ad_hock Guest

Hi bkg
    After what you say in the last post,altough the suggestion I gave you of using the first option in firewall advanced,I don't think this will solve the problem. OK you try and I will be very surprised if it works thoug it's the right setting. If this doesn't work I can suggest two other things prior to uninstall and reinstall. Insure you gave total access trusted and internet and server rights only in the trusted zone to GHPWin32 (svchost.exe). If you did, try to remove it from the programs list and your browser too and then launch the programs again and when asked give the necessary permissions and check remember.... If that continues not solving the problem I suggest a resetting of ZA data base. I know it's a pain as you loose all your customizations, but there is a chance that with a fresh data base you may solve the problem. If you decide to try this way follow this instructions http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=7101#M7101
    Best regards

njpsu Guest

I have just recovered from a similar problem.
    My internet connect kept grinding to a halt.
    After troubleshooting with my ISP we found that Port 80 appeared to be blocked.
    I couldn't find anything in particular that was attempting to access the port, did all the virus and spyware scans, safe mode etc...nothing helped.
    Finally, I uninstalled ZA Suite, that didn't help.
    Only after reinstalling ZA Internet Suite did I get a reliable internet connection again.
    Not sure what is up, if this is a conflict between ZA and the latest Microsoft XP security updates or if this is just a ZA problem, but it was very frustrating!
    Sorry not much better info, but the "drop back and punt" approach may be the way to go.

For the moment I have not updated the ZA system but I did update virus and spyware definitions.
    After I get a back up done, I'll try reloading the latest version of ZA.

Good luck!

pfhnyc Guest

I just found this thread -
    I have had the same problem exactly. It will kill a large download and you will only notice it in that situation or some other you are watching.
    Without ZA installed - no problem and I have installed it twice with the same issue.
    Did anyone figure it out?
    ThanksPaul

bkg Guest

Easy answer - I uninstalled zone alarm and re-installed from scratch - problem fixed.
    I did automatically add all the trusted zones such as my DHCP server and DNS servers once the install was completed. I can only assume a corruption on the original install possibly associated with the Norton security services that I eventually cleaned up and removed using msconfig.

Sorry not fun having to uninstall but if you are loading over the top of an another security service product on the same PC may be the only way.

Since uninstall and reinstall not a glitch and problem has completely disappeared.

Cheers BKG.

Thread Information