Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm disables ALL remote mouse clicks and remote keystrokes?

softech Guest

Default ZoneAlarm disables ALL remote mouse clicks and remote keystrokes?

Hi -

I am a computer consultant who assists home-based users. Among my services, I install ZoneAlarm on my clients' computers to help protect them. I also use Timbuktu (remote control software) to help service and update my clients remotely.

THE PROBLEM: Recent versions of ZoneAlarm disable ALL remote mouse clicks and remote keystrokes whenever a ZoneAlarm window (Main, alert, etc.) pops up on the screen.

I realize the purpose of this "feature" is to keep RAT attackers from disabling the program. Unfortunately, it's now hampering me from assisting my clients.

Is there a registry change that I can use to disable this "feature?"

I'd hate to have to dump ZoneAlarm, but that's what's going to happen if I can't find another solution.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

-Brian H.
    SofTech

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

puterfx Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm disables ALL remote mouse clicks and remote keystrokes?

I'm having a similar issue running Real VNC except the only problem is with trying to do anything with ZoneAlarm (Free)
    like shutting it down.
    All the other programs seem to work just like I was on the other computer.
    I'm running XP Pro on the "server" and XP Home on my laptop.
    I read in another post that someone else was having mouse issues when trying to work remotely with ZA Free but when they tried the Pro version, everything worked ... maybe you need to try the upgrade if you aren't now ... as for me, I think I'll try Kerio and see how that works.

Have you tried giving the program you are using , super trust level?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

softech Guest

Hoov-

I'm not aware of that setting. Does it exist in plain-vanilla ZoneAlarm?

softech Guest

Puter-

I agree completely - this is EXACTLY what is happening to me. Wheneve ANY ZoneAlarm windows appears, keystrokes and mouseclicks do not work (but only on ZoneAlarm and its pop-up windows - they continue to work otherwise).

Sorry, no it doesn't. You need to go into the overview section then click on the preferences tab, click the options button, and uncheck the selection for protection the client (I think that's what its called, memory is playing tricks).

puterfx Guest

SofTech

Well, I guess it will work as long as the ZA alerts don't pop-up. I did try Kerio and it actually seems my control is a little faster but requires a little more tweaking. I'm not sure which I'll use. I'll have to keep on playing with both I guess. It's a shame that ZA's help file includes both free and pro information but doesn't distinguish between the two ... kind of misleading.

softech Guest

THANK YOU, Hoov!

I believe that solves it, boys.

For anyone else experiencing a similar issue, here are the exact instructions for the solution which Mr. Hoover supplied:

1) Open ZoneAlarm
    2) On the left column, click OVERVIEW
    3) On the tabs at right, click PREFERENCES
    4) UNCHECK the box labeled "Protect the ZoneAlarm client"
    5) You're finished. Close ZoneAlarm.

boughey Guest

This is not an option in the current version 6.1.737, any ideas on how to achieve this in this version ?

That is for the free version, for the pro and security suite version you need to give the program a super rating for trust level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information