Thread: After login get blue screen when Antivirus ON

jskrlj Guest

Default After login get blue screen when Antivirus ON

My parents have a Dell Latitude C840 and I just installed ZASS 6.1 on it. They were previously running the free ZA.
    Everything works and reboots fine unless I turn on Antivirus on and reboot. I login and get a blue screen with the following techincal information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x00000000,0xf0ef1894,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.1

Message Edited by jskrlj on 03-08-200601:05 PM

Edit: If I go into safe mode and turn off antivirus, reboot, login is normal.
    I can turn on antivirus after loging in and run Scan, but have to turn it OFF before shutting PC off.

Message Edited by jskrlj on 03-08-200601:06 PM

billc Guest

Default Re: After login get blue screen when Antivirus ON

Looking into the meaning of the Stop:0x0000008E code suggest a couple of things. One is that your computer has a faulty RAM module ( look here or that you need to install the latest service pack for Windows. Have you installed sp2 for XP?

You might also look in your Event Viewer to see what you can find out about the cause of the crash. I understand that the AV portion of Zone Alarm is in the loop based on your comments, but maybe you can find what else is involved.

And when events like this occur, it will not hurt and actually might fix the problem if you reinstall ZASS; the installation might be corrupt. See if this will fix the problem. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now download and install a frsh copy of ZASS.

Also, XP Pro is very stable and if you do get a BSOD, then this is really quite serious. Your motherboard's POST test should detect a bad RAM chip when it does its memory test but more extensive tests are available.

If Guru Bill's suggestions don't help, it might be necessary to look deeper and make sure your installation of Windows itself hasn't been corrupted. Use your installation disk to do a repair and make sure you have all the service packs and security updates installed as suggested by Guru Bill.

But make sure you back up your PC first in case of catastrophic failure. Use Norton's Ghost if you have it, or if you don't have a good backup program capable of saving complete disk images (as opposed to files), try Snapshot - its briliant!

jskrlj Guest

I tried uninstalling a couple of days ago, but there must still be something in the registry that's not getting deleted that's probably corrupt. I'll try Bills' suggestion on the uninstall; haven't seen that trick yet.
    The computer has XPSP2 with all the Windows updates with latest BIOS and drivers on everything. I'm a nut like that.
    I will NOT repair the OS, I'd have better luck just backing up and reinstalling OS and everything. Glad I've made a new cd of XP and slipstreamed sp2.

Thread Information