Thread: Secure IP addresses still blocked (network, FTP)

ghol Guest

Default Secure IP addresses still blocked (network, FTP)

I am testing ZA free to see whether I want to invest money in the professional versionBut I am not convinced by the complicated methods repeatedly required to access my network and use my FTP programmes.
    Forgive me for a brief rant:
    How many times do I have to tell ZA that an IP address (whether 192.168.1.34 or something like 211.227.xxx.xxx) is valid??????
    Turning off ZA releases the IP addresses immediately, but what is the point of a firewall if you keep turning it off?
    And why can't ZA think up a more user-friendly way of adding secure zones, without being an expert?To start with I didn't know that e.g. I could (had to?) turn to the logs and click with the right mouse button --
    there were no error messages, just the ridiculous message that ZA was proud to have prevented dozens of "attacks" on
    my system!!And even now when I want to access something, the quickest way is to turn the firewall off, because adding zones doesn't work on a permanent basis.
    End of rant.
    Or have I maybe missed some setting that asks me before blocking my FTP program from accessing sites? (ZA does ask me before any program is allowed to access the internet)
    Thanks for any help.
    If I can't solve this annoying problem of ZA preventing me doing what I want without asking, I will have to look around for another program to buy.
    Phil

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

diggy Guest

Default Re: Secure IP addresses still blocked (network, FTP)

I am experiencing the same problem. I have entered the IP address of my router into the trusted zone, but despite this ZA often blocks access to the router from the computer, which obviously prevents me from accessing the internet. Closing down ZA defeats the purpose of having a firewall. Please someone, help us with a solution to this problem.

Widows XP Pro
    ZA Free Edition
    Version 6.1.737.000

billc Guest

Concerning the FTP problem, try selecting the 'passive' mode for your FTP transfers and see if that fixes your problem. I'm not sure exactly what your other question means; are you saying you keep getting asked about a new network or connection?

billc Guest

You should have your LAN address in the Trusted zone with the submask. It should look something like this 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0. Make sure that you've granted Generic Host Process For Win32 Services 'server' rights in the Trusted zone and 'access' in both zones.

ghol Guest

Thanks, Bill,
    I never knew what "passive FTP" was about -- but that apparently solves the FTP problem!

ghol Guest

OK, but I can't in fact add the submask to the trusted zone. It only allows me to add the IP address (is this because it is the free version?)
    I presume you understand my problem, but to state it again:
    I can't always access the other computer, i.e. my laptop, on my home network (connected via a router), without adding the IP address 192.168.1.34 again to the trusted zone.
    Thanks for your help

billc Guest

Sorry, I don't think I understood your question properly. If I've got it right, you can access your laptop but you need to add the IP again and again because Zone Alarm doesn't remember, correct? If that is the case, it is likely caused by a corrupt Zone Alarm database for which the solution is a reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

diggy Guest

Thanks Bill, the address had been entered correctly in the Trusted Zone, but on checking in Programme Control, I noticed that that Generic Host Process had been ticked in the Access column under both Trusted & Internet but in the Server column it had only been ticked under Trusted & not Internet. I have now done this & hope that the problem is now resolved.

Many thanks for your kind assistance which is much appreciated.

Ron

Thread Information