Thread: Downloading email fails, some web pages fail to load

bhdpafm Guest

Default Downloading email fails, some web pages fail to load

Download email fails with the following error in Outlook Express:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Service not available (server error)', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

and alternative software Pegasus also fails. Can send email though. Web pages sometimes will not open, eg last time page 2 of a Google search would not open even after repeated attempts, though I could reload page 1 successfully.

Outlook Express is correctly configured and service provider can find not problem at their end.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.1.737.000.

Any ideas? I have tried changing some ZoneAlarm settings without success.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Downloading email fails, some web pages fail to load

Hi bhdpafm,

"PERHAPS" I can help you, as I am a user of Zone Alarm Pro. Have you tried System Restore or Last Known Good Configuration, by tapping F8 at bootup? Hopefully this will solve your problem, if not PLEASE post back.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

ssutherl Guest

I am also a user and had this problem just pop up a few days ago.
    System Restore will only make the problem go away until the next time you apply windows
    update.
    I noticed that after MS updates to office were applied a few days ago, My email stopped working.
    I've fixed this problem the proper way.
    You will have to follow Zonelabs instructions on how to delete the zonealarm setting database.
    This will make zonealarm restart training, but it cures this problem.
    Apparently, things can get confused sometimes after MS updates, or Zonealarm updates and they recommend doing this when strange things start happening for no reason.
    I found the article at http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...eVectorDB.html
    This even cured another strange problem I was having.
    System restore just reverts your system to its settings before the windows update so it will happen again.
    Try this instead, it works.

bhdpafm Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the problem may of resulted after a Microsoft Update. Event Viewer gave the following:

"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : msimn: WAIT_TIMEOUT, LAST SUCCESS: (tid: 0x950) (pid: 0x94c)"

I tried to go back to a suitable restore point but XP would not allow it. What has appeared to work is a MS Office repair. At least for now.

bhdpafm Guest

Problem still occurring. I tried repairing MSoffice, and system restore. I have tried the deleting TrueVectorDB procedure. This problem has started again after the next reboot in each case. I am out of ideas at the moment. Any suggestions?

Thread Information