Thread: New Network IP Detected

scottiet Guest

Default New Network IP Detected

When my computer came out of hibernation, the new network wizard came up and said it detected a new net work beginning with 162.xxx.x.x, which made it have limited or no connectivity.
    My usual network begins with 192.168.x.x. I have a second network card installed in my computer so I used it instead and the network wizard came up detecting the network 192.168.x.x and my network worked fine and i was able to access the internet with no problem. I had made no changes to my computer or added any software before it went into hibernation.
    My question is why did it change the network IP and detect another network when coming out of hibernation and how do I get my original Ethernet port back to the 192.168.x.x IP? I had a similar problem some time ago (thus the second network card) but I do not remember how it was resolved.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    scott

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: New Network IP Detected

Hi scottieT,

Here are assorted possible solutions to your problem, hopefully one of them will solve it, if not PLEASE post back.

Re: Periodically unable to access internet

In your Firewall > Zones panel, do you have your LAN in the Trusted zone? It should look something like this 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 ? Also, does Generic Host Process have 'server' rights in the Trusted zone (not Internet zone)?

Open your ZA control panel, click on Firewall then Zones and see what is there. It should be the LAN IP and submask I posted. The second one you click on Program Control and then Programs tab and look for Generic Host Process. There should be a check under the first 3 columns but not the 4th column. Let me know. I'm trying to determine if you have a setting problem or database problem.

The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. ZoneAlarm may have blocked them.

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: New Network IP Detected

Hi Open the command and type in " ipconfig". Enter the ip and all revelent info into the Zones/network as "trusted". Manual entering is required when automatic detection is at fault or fails. Please ensure that "this is a gateway" is enabled in ZA and allow the "ICS" or sharing is enabled. Then reboot. Hope this helps you. Take care Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

scottiet Guest

Hi,
    Thank you both for your quick responses!
    Yes my LAN is in the trusted zone and when hooked up to the second network card it does look like 192.168.0.0. Generic Host Process does have server rights to the trusted but not internet zones. When connecting to the second network card I disabled the first one, the one I had been using. When I enabled it to get the information from IPconfig, zone alarm popped up saying a new network had been detected with an IP address of 169.254.0.0, Type: Private network. (That is what happened when I came out of hibernation
    and I had the connectivity problem with my first network card).
    I copied and pasted everything I got from doing the IP config hoping that would help you figure out what is going on and why it happened? I thank you both again for your help!

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>ipconfigWindows IP Configuration
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::240:5ff:fe0a:ee0d%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

. :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.134.252

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::240:2bff:fe79:ac96%6

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

. :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

. :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.134.252%2

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

. :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.2%2

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>ipconfi

Hi Two questions: driver has been enabled/downloaded and has device was enabled in BIOS and Device Manger (or Found New Hardware)? Third question is when you disabled the first NIC, was the driver disabled for it as well (might be a requirement)? Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

scottiet Guest

Hi,

Thank you for your help!

When the problem initially occurred, the second network card (which is connection 2), which I am using now to access my home network and the internet, was disabled from the networking
    access part
    of the control panel. I was using the network card (connection 1) to connect to the network and the internet. Without making any changes or downloading anything beforehand, when I came out of hibernation, zone alarm popped up and said it detected a new network, the 169.259.0.0 one instead of the regular 192.168.0.0 which it usually has as my trusted network, and which it has now that I am using connection 2. I have checked in device manager and it says both network cards are working properly with no conflict. I checked for an updated driver for my connection 1 network card. I unistalled my connection
    1 network card and re-installed it using windows "found new hardware". all to no use. I have had both network cards installed for over a year so I know it is not a hardware conflict issue. I installed the second network card believing my first one, which came with the computer had given out but it turned out to be a problem similar to this and not a hardware malfunction at that time. That is why I went back to using the original (connection 1) network card. As I said it had been over a year since that occurred and I do not remember how it was resolved.

I am sorry if I didn't answer your questions, my computer knowledge is limited.
    I am just confused as to how my IP changed while my computer was in hibernation and zone alarm detected it as a new network, yet I had no network or internet connectivity.
    I have both network cards enabled now and I just checked in the zone alarm firewall shows the 192.168.0.0 (as the trusted network) and
    now a
    169.254.0.0 (as internet zone), yet
    if I were to try and use the 168.252.0.0, I would not be able to connect to the internet.

As I said before, I am just wondering
    what happened in hibernation to
    change my IP
    or network address during hibernation and how to change it back. I am sorry if I did not provide enough useful information but I do appreciate your help.

Thanks!

scott

Hi Scottie T. Look if it works then it is okay, I guess (?). Myself, I would remove the unrequired address. As to why there was a new connection nade, it is a mystery. Only the gurus know! Oldsod PS try donhoover.net (one of the gods of Zone Alarm Gurus!)
    Best regards.
    oldsod

scottiet Guest

Thanks for the help oldsod and I'll check out the site.

Thanks again,

scott

Thread Information