Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How I fixed my internet connection

  1. #1
    darthjure Guest

    Default How I fixed my internet connection

    This is documentation of problems I've had surfing the web.
    It explains my solution, and I'd like someone to explain to me WHY the solution worked.
    Read on...
    I've been having trouble getting to websites recently.
    It started when I installed a wireless router and card in my notebook.
    Sometimes I could surf without any problems, but then I'd start getting "Page can not be found".
    Once it started happening it would last at least a half an hour.
    I could usually surf pretty well in IE, but once I opened Firefox or Firebird that seemed like the trigger - the Mozilla browser stopped working and IE stopped working also.
    Sometimes IE would start working again, but it usually took longer for Mozilla to start working.
    The router was always working, and the card seemed fine.
    In fact, it would say Signal Strength = Excellent but I still couldn't surf.
    So I thought it was related to some Windows XP SP2 setting.
    I surfed the web looking for various solutions, and I came across a simple test to run next time I was having problems:
    1.
    try to go to http://www.google.com
    2.
    If "Page can not be found", try going to http://64.233.167.147
    The second address also goes to Google, by way of IP address.
    It works without using DNS.
    If you can get there by IP address, there is a problem with DNS.
    (DNS is a Directory of NameSpaces which matches up the friendly URL with the actual computer you're trying to get to.)
    DNS is provided by your internet service provider - they may be the problem but probably not.
    This test worked for me, so I knew it was a problem with DNS.
    Windows has a DNS cache which could be the problem.
    To clear it out go to Start>Run and type ipconfig /flushdns
    This helped some, also confirming that it was a DNS problem, but the problem would start again soon after.
    Then I started snooping around in ZoneAlarm (I had never suspected this was the problem) and found a setting that was NOT checked:
    Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet Zone on High setting
    (This is found on the Firewall page, Advanced button.)
    I checked this box and I've been surfing with no trouble ever since.
    What I'm wondering is:
    Why wasn't this checked?
    And more importantly, is this a security issue or more of a privacy issue?
    I suspect it's privacy, and I think the default ought to be checked.
    (By the way, I've got ZA 6.1.744.001 and it was installed a few days after installing my wireless router.)
    I hope this explanation is helpful to others experiencing the same problems.
    Best wishes!

    Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World
    Posts
    2,477

    Default Re: How I fixed my internet connection



    Hi darthjure,



















    "EXCELLENT POST"!

    Thank You Very Much for sharing this information you have found with other users of this forum.




















    Have a "SUPER GREAT DAY"!











































    SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

    Click here for ZA Support

    Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday













  3. Default Re: How I fixed my internet connection

    <blockquote><hr>darthjure wrote:
    This is documentation of problems I've had surfing the web. It explains my solution, and I'd like someone to explain to me WHY the solution worked.
    Then I started snooping around in ZoneAlarm (I had never suspected this was the problem) and found a setting that was NOT checked:Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet Zone on High setting(This is found on the Firewall page, Advanced button.) I checked this box and I've been surfing with no trouble ever since.<hr></blockquote>


    Good question! I can only attempt a partial answer - and pose more questions ...

    The ZA default, apparently, is to put networks, especially unprotected wireless networks, into the Internet zone. Then we are left to sort out the problem of access in cases like yours! Having used free (and simple) ZA previously, I automatically change it to put my LAN in the Trusted zone; which avoids the need for this custom security setting in the Internet zone. After all, the router protects me from the Interet with its own firewall, and I also need to access other computers on the LAN.

    But it would seem that the High setting in Internet zone would prevent reliable access to the Internet if you had a direct connection; and you might come across a Help file recommendation to make it Medium, thereby completely undoing the effect of a secure default setting! It would be more consistent to allow DNS/DHCP in the first place, and avoid the plethora of queries and workarounds I have found in this forum! I find it strange that many gurus recommend putting DNS/DHCP servers into the Trusted zone ... as if we have all the time to reset these values whenever our Internet access fails!

    (Gurus, please excuse the expression of incredulity, and see it as an observation against an unnecessarily complex approach).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •