Thread: Unsual connection problem

littleelvis Guest

Default Unsual connection problem

Hi,
    I'm currently using the free version firewall on windows xp. i am able to connect to the internet and use ceratin websites but others like www.yahoo.com even www.bbc.co.uk
    won't load. I get a standard 'cannot connect to the server' message. my connection is not reset and i can access other sites but certain ones always seem to fail.
    i've tried this on two different dial up connections and using IE and Firefox. i've tried searching the forum but can't find this problem. any ideas??
    cheerspaul

billc Guest

Default Re: Unsual connection problem

Try resetting the Zone Alarm database, I think some 'Pro' features are enabled by mistake. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

stressed Guest

I'm having exactly the same problem, though with different sites, google.com.au which wont load at all and the zonelabs site which mostly loads but the images wont.

- Tried the suggested fix and it made no difference at all.
    - I tried the uninstalling Nortons with their tools and reinstalling ZoneAlarm a couple of times
    - Turned the security setting to low; no difference

I have browsed this forum, and seen so many problems I might still have and this is the closest thread I've found.

I'm running
    ZoneAlarm (free)
    XP Home
    D-LINK 804 residential gateway, which is added to the trusted sites
    ZoneAlarm version:6.1.744.001
    TrueVector version:6.1.744.001
    Driver version:6.1.744.001

Out of ideas and stressed out of my brain with what should have been a simple install.

Any help appreciated.

john

littleelvis Guest

Hi Bill / John

Bill, many thanks for the tips. I tried it but alas it didn't seem to work. However, I think you were on the right thread. I believe my version may have been the problem.
    In the end I uninstalled both my internet connection and Zone Alarm. I then reinstalled my dial up connection and Zone Alarm, restarted and now it seems to work. Wish I could explain why but it seems to have solved the problem.

John, you might want to try reinstalling. I am running Zone Alarm now with AVG and no problems as yet.

Paul

stressed Guest

Thanks Paul

I tried istalling ZoneAlarm pro after my last post in case. I figured if it was the the Pro options I could fix it with that; no such luck.

I just uninstalled ZoneAlarm and tried "TinyFirewall" and it just worked :-) It aint free but I'd rather spend a little money than any more fruitless hours on this, I cannot afford the stress. And just working is what I expect of firewall and virus software.

Hope it keeps working for you.

john

juani Guest

I'm having exactly the same problem, though with different sites, and tried the suggested fixes as well and it made no difference at all. I have to remark that until two weeks ago I didn
    t have any problems and
    I was able to navigate normal. Unfortunately I don
    t remember when I updated ZoneAlarm the last time, and if that has got anything to do with it.

I'm running
    ZoneAlarm (free)
    XP Home
    ZoneAlarm version:6.1.744.001
    TrueVector version:6.1.744.001
    Driver version:6.1.744.001

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks

Juani

Thread Information