Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm VS Linksys router

doowle Guest

Default Zonealarm VS Linksys router

I am running XP SP2, with a Linksys wireless router WRT54G V5. I have it hardwired to my desktop PC and to my laptop (a Mac). I am using Zonealarm Pro version 6.1.744.001.

I can connect to the Internet from my laptop wired or wirelessly with no problem but my desktop that has the hardwired connection will disconnect if I have Zonealarm running. If I reboot, it will connect but after awhile the connection is lost. During all of this I have no problem connecting with my laptop. If I shutdown Zonealarm I am able to connect the desktop to the Internet.

I contacted Linksys support and they said that Zonealarm apparently had a conflict with the router's firewall.

Any suggestions to overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm VS Linksys router

Do you have your LAN IP and submask in the Trusted zone? It should look something like this 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 .

doowle Guest

It is in the Trusted Zone. However, the IP address in Zonealarm is 192.168.1.0 whereas when I do ipconfig/all the address is 192.168.1.101.

billc Guest

Try this. Go to your Firewall > Zones panel, click on the 'add' button, select 'Subnet', enter 192.168.1.0 as the IP and 255.255.255.0 as the submask, make sure the Zone is 'Trusted', name it something, then click 'ok'. See if that helps.

Message Edited by BillCherryAtl on 04-23-2006 08:31 PM

doowle Guest

Sorry I wasn't clear in the previous message. 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 is what it says now.

billc Guest

Have you granted Generic Host Process For Win32 Services 'server' rights in the Trusted zone on your Zone Alarm Programs List?

strat_plan Guest

I am working my way through setting up a VNC/VPN from a remote laptop to my desktop, which is behind the router and Zonelabs Suite.
    In setting up parameters, another issues arises.
    I must be missing some parameter that allows me to have complete access to my Linksys WRT54G, Ver. 5.0.
    When I use the normal address of 192.168.1.1, I only get a partial display of the menu pages, e.g. 1st menu option is "Setup", but nothing appears, nor is there a hidden hyperlink.
    If I shutdown ZoneAlarm, the menus function properly?
    Not sure if these parameters may affect ability to get VNC/VPN to work properly.
    Any suggestions?

protect Guest

I recently solve a problem similar to this but not identical.try switching off your screensaver and see if you still have the same problem, if you do then you need to set the Internet interlock in the zone alarm to off. I had this problem for ages with a netgear router until I read an answer in this forum.

strat_plan Guest

Thanks for hint.
    I turned screensaver off and tried to access modem.
    Same results.
    Graphic menu screen shows up, but options not shown or available.

Worth a try.
    Thanks.

blackcanis Guest

If you turn off the cookie control and the ad control your menus will display correctly.
    Raising the bar on either one causes the GUI on the router (wrt54g) to display incorrectly.
    Turning off zone alarm cures the problem as well (though isn't a preferred solution!).

DNS, DHCP, 192.168.1.1 are in the trusted zone.

Playing with the settings in the site list doesn't fix the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for any help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information