Thread: Question about the need to add DHCP/DNS IP in trusted zone.

beetlecat Guest

Default Question about the need to add DHCP/DNS IP in trusted zone.

I just recently started having this problem with intermittent internet access. I never needed to add the DHCP/DNS IP in ZoneAlarm. Has something changed with the newer versions of ZA? Well, the strange thing is that my previous configuration worked fine until I switched from cable to DSL. Is there something unique to a DSL connection that may be causing the need to add the DHCP/DNS IP?
    I doubt it has anything to do with the DSL because I now have my home network setup so ZA on all my PCs is now interacting with my router and I still have the same intermittent access problems. I never had to add the IP of the router into the trusted zone before. Seems like the older versions of ZA just worked without having to do all of that.
    In any case, I have now added the IP of my router and we'll see if that fixes my problem. Seems like this has been the fix for most people with the same problem.

But my big question is...

If I now have to add the DHCP/DNS IPs into the trusted zone to fix this problem, isn't that going to be a real pain in the butt when I try to use other networks? Like if I go to the local coffee shop and want to use their free wireless, am I going to have to do an ipconfig/all and then enter the DHCP/DNS IPs of every network I happen to roam to? This just doesn't seem right. ZA never used to require this.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BTW, I'm using WinXP, free ZA version 6.1.744.001

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Question about the need to add DHCP/DNS IP in trusted zone.

I'm surprised to hear you've not added your DNS or DHCP server to the Trusted zone in the past, because I've always had to do that as long as my Internet Security slider was on 'High'. Is it possible you had your Internet Security on 'Medium'? The reason I ask is that DHCP uses the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and UDP is blocked by default on High security.

Anyway, if you go to a coffee shop, you should get a Zone Alarm alert saying a 'New Network' has been found without you're having to do the ipconfig thing.

beetlecat Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    I'm surprised to hear you've not added your DNS or DHCP server to the Trusted zone in the past, because I've always had to do that as long as my Internet Security slider was on 'High'. Is it possible you had your Internet Security on 'Medium'? The reason I ask is that DHCP uses the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and UDP is blocked by default on High security.

Anyway, if you go to a coffee shop, you should get a Zone Alarm alert saying a 'New Network' has been found without you're having to do the ipconfig thing.
    <hr></blockquote>

I could swear that I had the 'internet security' set to high and never had to enter the DHCP/DNS servers into the Trusted Zone. Basically, I never had a problem with my configuration until I moved to a new house and therefore switched from cable to DSL. As soon as I started trying to use the DSL connection, the intermittent access problems began. Strange. My configuration worked before, I changed nothing and then all of a sudden, with a new ISP... I'm having this problem.

Oh well, looks like adding the DHCP/DNS to the trusted zone is the fix. I just don't understand why I never had to configure ZA in this way before.

One thing I always used to do was go here:
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    And perform a ports scan and I was always fully stealthed. Which leads me to believe that I'd always had ZA configured to 'internet security'=high.

Well, I guess I'll see what happens the next time I try to use another network. Hopefully it will all work as you say.

Thanks for the feedback.

zortag Guest

If you've got DNS issues and a small (non-commercial network, like a home net), you may want to look into TreeWalk (http://www.ntcanuck.com/), its a personal DNS server. Basically, one installs treewalk on a single system on your network (give it a fixed IP address), configure this system to know about your ISP's DNS servers, and then configure all the other systems on the net to look to that system for DNS. It can save a boatload of ISP DNS lookup traffic, since this thing caches the addresses that you go to frequently, so all the systems get their DNS locally. Also is a real saver when the ISP's DNS server is unavailable. Takes little room (HD and RAM) on the system. I've been using it for over a year and never had a problem with it.

zortag Guest

Oops, forgot to mention the best selling point of TreeWalk, it's free!

Thread Information