Thread: Connection blocked after set amount of time

spinedoc Guest

Default Connection blocked after set amount of time

Using zonealarm pro security suite, just the firewall portion. Have it set up on a network with one other machine and going through a router. Both running XP with SP2. Trouble is the other computer on the local(trusted) network zone cannot access this computer after Zonwalarm has been running for "a while". If I turn ZA
    off then restart the other computer can access this one for a while but eventually, by later the same day, will start blocking access again. Internet access on this computer seems OK. I have tried the old work around trick of adding the router ip to the trusted zone without resolution. Any ideas for the next direction to try?
    spinedoc

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

eclaunch Guest

Default Re: Connection blocked after set amount of time

I have a similar problem with ZA Pro--two computers in local network, but without a router. I use Internet Connection Sharing thru a master computer, with the firewall only on the master. The master always keeps the internet connection, but the slave times out after about 10 minutes. Engaging, then disengaging the ZA internet lock "resets" the connection, but only for another 10 minutes or so.

I should say I had the same problem--I now have a router with ZA serving the master computer only. What was the slave computer is now unprotected, but the lockups are gone. I'd love to know the solution, too.

hooptyshark Guest

Same problem. I'm using ZA Free Firewall and every now and then it locks up. If I exit (stop running) ZA my connection's fine. If I try to exit ZA and then start it back up, my connection is still blocked. I had this problem before, a long time ago. At some point in time it stopped, and I'm not really sure why. I just recently reformatted my HD and had to re-insatll ZA and now I'm having these problems again. I've also noticed frequent connection drops when DLing large files for a long amount of time. I don't think it's my ISP because when I use XP's firewall I don't encounter these problems.

I, like the other posters, would love to know how to resolve ZA's problem with locking up connections.

hooptyshark Guest

Couldn't find an "edit" button, so I'm making a new post.

Reading through the forum I found this: (just goes to show you should always read a few pages before posting... ) http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=25707

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFox
    Hi,

I've come up with a few possible solutions, which may or may not work for you.

In your Firewall > Zones panel, do you have your LAN in the Trusted zone? It should look something like this 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 ? Also, does Generic Host Process have 'server' rights in the Trusted zone (not Internet zone)?

Open your ZA control panel, click on Firewall then Zones and see what is there. It should be the LAN IP and submask I posted. The second one you click on Program Control and then Programs tab and look for Generic Host Process. There should be a check under the first 3 columns but not the 4th column. Let me know. I'm trying to determine if you have a setting problem or database problem.

The most common cause is that you are losing your IP address. Most ISPs use DHCP to assign IP addresses. Many also send a heartbeat to see if you are still connected. ZoneAlarm may have blocked them.

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it

In your Programs Control panel, have you given PCAnywhere access rights in the Program Control Panel, two green checkmarks under the Access column and one green checkmark under the Server (TRUSTED) ONLY, and a red checkmark under Server (Internet)?

PLEASE let me know as soon as possible, if any of these solutions helped you or not. If not we have on this forum a few people who are highly trained in this area, and I can try to get in contact with them, if not, I will give you the direct link to the Tech Support.

SlyFox
    I'm not much of networking guy, so let me see if I got this straight...

My modem's IP is 192.168.1.1 and my router's IP is 192.168.0.1 So, does that mean I should add both my router's and my modem's IPs?

Now I have it set like this: 192.168.0.100/255.255.255.0 (ethernet card) is allowed to internet
    192.168.0.1 (router) is allowed to trusted
    192.168.1.1 (modem) is allowed to trusted
    127.0.0.1 (loopback) is allowed to trusted

spinedoc Guest

I have already tried this (adding router to trusted list and generic host process has rights) without luck. Thanks for trying to help though. The heatbeat thing should not have a bearing on local network connections from my understanding, only connections to the internet.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Thread Information