Thread: Access issues

jvalal Guest

Default Access issues

I thought this was a mozilla issue, but for some reason I can access the internet with IE, but can't with Mozilla Firefox.
    Please see the videous at this location.
    I have done everything everyone has told me, removed Firefox from ZA.
    Please advise.
    http://www.experienceucd.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view& gid=26&Itemid=57

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.x

billc Guest

Default Re: Access issues

I liked the video you produced; did you use a program to do that and if so what program? Now on to Firefox. You're on the right track. You should close all open FF browsers and even go so far as to open your Task Manager to make sure there is not a Firefox.exe application running you do not see. Remove it again from your Programs list like you did before. Now right click on your ZASS icon in the system tray and select 'Shutdown ZASS'. Next open a FF browser and see if you have 'access' now. If you do, close FF, open ZASS again, and then open FF and you should get a ZASS Program Alert. Click 'allow' and the 'remember this' box. Did that work?

jvalal Guest

Hey,
    That didn't work. However when I shutdown ZA I do have access through the web using FF.
    Any other ideas?
    I use a tool called snag it by tech smith to record screens. I do usability work and this is imperative to capture these events. If you want a free one check out Cam Studio. It also exports to .swf, but the files are larger than Snag It.

billc Guest

OK. Now we know FF does work and Zone Alarm is the problem. Once you've gone through the steps without success, then I believe your Zone Alarm database is corrupt and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Hopefully that will do the trick. And thanks for the info on 'snag'.

jvalal Guest

Hey Bill,
    we'll i tried to troubleshoot last nighta and did so by uninstalling ZA.
    I tried to reinstall, but it wouldn't shout down my true vector program, whatever that is.
    So I didn't get it resolved.

Any ideas here?
    Thanks

billc Guest

True Vector is the firewall engine in Zone Alarm. It needs to be stopped to update or install a fresh Zone Alarm. It would appear your uninstall didn't go too well. Try this. Download and save to your computer (not 'run') a fresh copy of the Zone Alarm version you are using. Now boot your computer into the Safe Mode {Instructions if needed} then run the installation in the Safe Mode. True Vector should never even start while running in the Safe Mode.

Once you've got Zone Alarm installed again, clean the database so you can get a fresh start. There could be some remnants still hanging around.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Thread Information