Thread: No internet access with wireless connection.

dominicb Guest

Default No internet access with wireless connection.

I installed the free ZA and when it is running I have no internet access on my WinXPSP1 PC.

I access the internet through a Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter on an open (unsecured) network. The wireless is configured by the Realtek Wireless LAN Utility (not windows config)

The computer also has a ethernet connection (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC) which has no internet accesss.

When installing, ZA asks how I connect to internet, I choose wireless connection.
    The instructions here: http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=36160 do not work, as I have no "Wireless Network" tab under advanced.

I have tried other firewall programs (kerio & bitdefender) and I do not have this problem. I'm currently using kerio, but I would like to use ZA since I prefer the interface to the others.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: No internet access with wireless connection.

I am sorry but Zonealarm Free does not support internet connection sharing. You need Zone alarm pro for that.

dominicb Guest

I'm not using ICS. I'm using wireless network connection connected to a wireless router. Specifically, a realtek RTL8180 connected to a linksys router.

I think that unless you are hard wired into the internet your computer is treated as if it is "sharing" an internet connection. Most of these wireless routers now have ethernet connecting plugs as well. If your router has that capability than try connecting to the internet by an ethernet cable. If your machine works wired but not wireless than you probably still need Zonealarm Pro to use your wireless router.

Message Edited by ledoc on 05-21-200610:41 AM

Thread Information