Thread: Zone Alarm sometimes blocks all internet access

cakiwi Guest

Default Zone Alarm sometimes blocks all internet access

I recently installed ZA Free on my system after using Earthlink's firewall. Sometimes after booting, ZA will block all access to the internet through either Firefox or IE. If I shutdown ZA, internet access is restored. Usually if I then restart ZA I can still access the internet. I have also installed ZA Free on a second computer which has never had any security software on it and I am having the same problem on that one too. I am using Grisoft's AVG for anti-virus, WinXP Pro on one system and WinXP Home on the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CaKiwi

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Zone Alarm sometimes blocks all internet access

Below are instructions to perform a database reset, you may like to copy them to Notepad and save them on your desktop because we will be restarting the computer.

1. Restart the computer. As the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.
    2. Once in safe mode, go to c:\windows\internet logs
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot back into normal mode.

cakiwi Guest

Thanks chiawaikian,

The problem seems to have healed itself, but if it comes back I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens.

larkspur Guest

What database exactly is one deleting and what other effect is deletion going to have besides opening access to the Internet?

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm sometimes blocks all INTERNET access

The database one is deleting is the one that the user configures for ZA,all of your customizations,your settings will be wiped out as if you have reinstalled ZA from scratch without going thru the headache of reinstalling,its like a fresh start.

jknightza Guest

I too have this intermittent problem and find that access is restored immediately Zone Alarm is turned off and it can be turned straight back on again. I have doubts about deleting backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files as suggested by chiawaikian as Explorer tells me these ar linked to Retrospect HD disk backup software which I have on my computer and not to Zone Alarm. Do Zone Labs themselves have anything to say about this ?

flyyourway Guest

try adding your dns server to the zone alarm trusted zone,see if that resolves your issues.there have been many reports of this specific issue,but since they are very hard to reproduce ,its hard to get a clear undertsanding of why and what happens,I suggest you also contact customer support and stay on their bottoms,with constant emails,see what they have to say and if they have a fix.

Thread Information