Thread: access help needed

debfun Guest

Default access help needed

Not sure how or what got changed or how to fix this.
    Suddenly I cannot update microsoft, when opening any attachment I get access denied, when opening help in microsoft outlook 2003 I get the menu and then click on something to get the resolution and access is denied.
    I have Windows XP and Zone Labs 6.1.744....
    Not sure what I need to do, but sure need some help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: access help needed

To update Windows, I find it best to turn off all your Main Privacy blocking and then clean your cache before you try again. If you are denied access for downloads, turn off your Mobile Code control in Privacy, clean your cache , and try again. The problems you've described all deal with your Privacy settings.

If you still can't get things to work, it could be your database is corrupt and needs to be reset. Here's how you do that.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Database Reset</legend>Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    </fieldset>

debfun Guest

Ok I shut down the ZA and updated microsoft and also cleaned the cache. THANK YOU. When I have ZA on I cannot open email attachments I get a response - access denied - and when I am in outlook help I can open help, type in what I am looking for, but when I click on the option to get the directions I get reponse - Error starting MS help. Where do I find the fix for this, not sure what got denied access or how to find it. I really appreciate your help. I have cookie control on Medium, Ad blocking on Medium and Mobile Code Control is on. This is how it has always been set. Under Program Control I have it set on Medium, Smart Defense Advisor is set to manual and Automatic Lock is set to on, again, same as it always was.

billc Guest

I don't think Zone Alarm is causing your Outlook problems. Open Outlook, go to Tools > Options > Security and make sure the box "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened..." is not checked. And if you're wondering if Zone Alarm is the source of a problem, right click on the Zone Alarm icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown Zone Alarm' and try again. If it is the problem, post it here and we'll try to solve it.

debfun Guest

I shut off ZA and can update windows, open attachments and get help from the help index. I have a feeling something got denied and don't know where to find it. I went through Program Control and Programs to check last modified dates and couldn't find anything that was done in the last 15 days. Everything listed in there with Microsoft Office is listed as either Trusted or Super. As I am no computer expert or anything even close I am not really sure what I am looking for, but thought that was a start. Any suggestions??

billc Guest

Sometimes the best thing to do when you're not sure what the problem may be is to clear your database and then let programs request permissions anew. From what you've said, that's what I'd suggest you do. Here's how to reset the database; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

debfun Guest

That worked. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Thread Information