Thread: Zone Alarm Pro hangs my new PC when loaded at startup.

clickcardo Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro hangs my new PC when loaded at startup.

That statement is not complete. I had a AMD 64 FX-53 XP Pro SP2 based PC with a ton of startup applications and all of them plus ZA Security Suite (SS) 6.1.744.001 would start just fine. Of course the CPU meter would hit 100% for much of the long startup time, but everything would start and my PC would settle back to very low CPU usage right afterwards. Now I'm moving to a new AMD X2-4800+ XP Pro SP2 based PC. I have just a couple startup apps besides the same version of ZA SS. When I have ZA SS load at startup the CPU usage goes 100% for the longest time on both cores then it settles to about 40/30%, but ZA SS tray ends being locked up and zlclient.exe is 35% / vsmon.exe is 8% in task manager at the top of the usage list. If I start ZA SS after startup it loads normally and afterwards CPU usage is around 1%.

I really prefer ZA SS starting upon startup and no I cannot not start the other few apps currently loading at startup. Can anybody help?

Thanks
    CC

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Message Edited by ClickCardo on 06-02-2006 12:35 PM

Added Note: When ZA SS hangs this way when in auto-startup at logon mode the only way I can get out is going into safe mode and uninstalling then reinstalling after logging in normal mode. Done this several times trying to figure this out and it's very tiring.

Message Edited by ClickCardo on 06-02-2006 12:49 PM

Added: Something else I just noticed. Everything seems to be working except on the Product Info page's Support and Update section. There the Click Here for tech support link and Renew button do nothing when clicked.

Message Edited by ClickCardo on 06-02-2006 12:56 PM

Added: Just tried Panda online anti-virus/spyware scan. Reported 1 virus which it said it disinfected and 25 spyware cookies not disinfected. Afterwards same no action reported above.

Message Edited by ClickCardo on 06-02-2006 01:38 PM

clickcardo Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro hangs my new PC when loaded at startup. SOLVED.

Turns out I had switched from an ATI video card to nVidia and their
    nwiz.exe program was the culprit. I disabled nwiz with no ill effects
    and everything starts fine now.

jscott Guest

Hi, I have pretty much the same problem, same version as you. High CPU usage. Many reboots later (disabling and then re-enabling one at a time) found the conflict to be with NVIDIA's NWIZ and/or NvCpl programs (drivers for the NVIDIA display cards I have and the nView Desktop Manager software). I leave both out of the autostart now and everything runs OK. The problem is you can't use any of the NVIDIA desktop manager functions (which are really handy for a dual card/monitor computer). I updated to the latest versions of Zone and Nvidia to no avail. Submitted tech support e-mail to Zone to see what they say. I think its some problem with the two monitors and cards since I have a laptop with the same software but only a single monitor of course.

doctorday Guest

FYI. I experienced the same problem today. Unfortunately, the latest version of nVidia drivers (v91.47, date 9-5-2006) still exhibits this problem.

jscott Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro hangs my new PC when loaded at startup.

I wonder why my original entry is marked 'solved'? ZA has had a bug report in on this that they accepted for escalation on 7/14/06. I've never received any other feedback since then to give me an update as to what's going on.

Since my original posting, I've got very similar results and problems wiht a laptop machine of mine. When I attached an external monitor, ZA immediately goes into high CPU utilization for several minutes. Eventually it calms down. But every time I attach an external monitor I get the same result.

doctorday Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro hangs my new PC when loaded at startup.

It's interesting thatit happens whenever you attach a monitor. I have several user accounts, andit happens whenever Iswitch from account to account. Even with another account still signed on that already "calmed down".45-50% cpu for 10-15 minutes is unacceptable, so I took nwiz.exe out of my startup. Lucky I don't think I'll need it often.

Thread Information