Thread: iTunes Music Store and Internet Explorer

htdefiant Guest

Default iTunes Music Store and Internet Explorer

Since installing ZoneAlarm Firewall a week ago, I have had only two problems. iTunes cannot access the Music Store, and IE 7 cannot get to the internet. I have checked the program list, and both iTunes and IE have full permissions. After I click 'Music Store', the progress bar does not go away. iTunes is still running, I can listen to music in the library and stuff, but I cannot access the music store at all. When I open IE, I get nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks, htdefiant

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: iTunes Music Store and Internet Explorer

Next time you want to go to the online store, go to your ZASS > Privacy > Main panel and turn off all your 'main' Privacy blocking, make sure your browser cache has been cleaned, and now go to the site. I think it is the Privacy blocking that is causing your problem.

htdefiant Guest

I do not have the 'Privacy' tab you are refering to, but I read on a support page that I am supposed to allow access to:
    Port 3689 TCP and Port 5353 UDP. How do I do this using Zone Alarm Firewall?
    Thanks,
    htdefiant

Message Edited by htdefiant on 06-19-2006 08:41 PM

By default programs given access permission or server permission can use any port or protocol, and contact any ip address or host at any time. If iTunes already has access permissions you shouldn't have to open any port for it. Have you given Generic Host Process access and server permission for the trusted zone?What type of connection do you have with the internet? If you are using a wireless adaptor to connect to the intenet on a machine running Zonealarm free you may have connection problems.

htdefiant Guest

Yes, I do have a wireless internet connection, which goes to comcast cable. I do know how to 'give permission to the generic host process'. Sorry, I'm new at this.

To give Generic Host Process access and server rights open up the Zonealarmconfiguration window by double clicking the ZA icon down in your Taskbar area. Got to Program Control> Programs .Find Generic Host Process,Your Browser, Itunes program and for each one make them trusted,and have access to the trusted and internet zones. Also give Generic Host Process Server rights to trusted but not internet Zone. If this is already done or if this doesn't work, your problem is probably due to using Zonealarm free on a wireless connection. Zonealarm free does not support internet connection sharing and unfortunately, internet connection problemsare not something I know alot about myself, but I have seen this problem come up time and time again and have copied the solution that Guru Ad-Hoc has been recommending."Try to add the ip's of your DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Open the command line (hit start-run-cmd) and type
    ipconfig /all. You'll see several lines among them your DHCP server with the ip and the DNS servers (can be more then one). Take note of all these ip's. Then go to ZA tab Firewall and page zones and in the box at the bottom (entry detail),click add, choose ip address and then enter a bief description, type the ip's you found and make sure the zone is setted to trusted. You need to do this one by one."
    Another solution is to buy Zonealarm Pro and take advantage of it's automatic network detection and configuration functions which are not available in the free version.

Message Edited by ledoc on 06-22-2006 10:21 AM

htdefiant Guest

Now it works, its just really slow. Any suggestions, the rest of my net is just fine.

Message Edited by htdefiant on 06-22-2006 04:31 PM

Does the speed improve when you shut down Zonealarm?

htdefiant Guest

No, it does not. But I think that's because my windows firewall is controlled by a ZA group policy. When ZA shuts off, windows kicks in, and its controlled by ZA's prefs.
    htdefiant

No. The windows firewall is not controlled by anything that is configured in Zonealarm. I am not sure this problem is associated with zonealarm since it doesn't go away when you shut down Zonealarm. I would suggest that you uninstall zonealarm completely and if the problem persists that you contact windows tech support or a support forum for windows.

Thread Information