Thread: Problem using Automatic Windows Updates

mfinzel Guest

Default Problem using Automatic Windows Updates

I've seen a lot of posts for fixing issues with the Microsoft Updates website, but none for the automatic updates in Windows. It stopped working for me with ZoneAlarm Pro months ago, and has never worked since. I can update through the website, but Automatic updates on my system won't work.

I have the "Automatic Updates" fully allowed and enabled, I do not have any other firewalls/antispyware going. It doesn't prompt me or anything, it just doesn't work.

Also, if there is a solution to this, I'd like to use expert rules so as not to just give MS free reign over my system.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 6.5.722.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Problem using Automatic Windows Updates

I used to have the same problem until I figured out what was going on. Microsoft likes to change and update its automatic update program to a new version every now and then and it usually makes you run the Geniune Windows Verification program, update Internet Explorer's active-x control, and accept the new EULA before it allows you to install and run a newer Windows auto update program. After you upgrade your version of ZA or in the course of events the settings for these get flushed out. So there are several ways to get the Windows auto updates to work again. You will basically need to re-train ZAP for the newer Windows Update program. This training is especially important if you have Mobile Code Control enabled all the time like I do.

You will need to use Internet Explorer and try the Windows Update link under control panel to go to the Windows update site manually to start this process. Under the ZAP Privacy Settings, Site List you will need to allow full access for the cookies, web bugs, etc. for all the Microsoft update site links such as update.microsoft.com, www.microsoft.com, etc. links. I think that private headers can remain blocked. I usually temporarily enable the privacy advisor to run while I train ZAP for these sites and when it pops up I click on the advisor then go under the Sites section and the active site is usually blue in color and I simply add all the checks across (except for Private Header) for full access. After your system installs all the new Windows Update related programs and files and you accept the new EULA then your auto updates should work in the future until MS changes the auto update program again or if your Windows settings get flushed out which happens to me every few months when I run the Windows Disk Cleanup Utility. I simply do the process again and go to the Windows update site and manually update to re-install the new Windows Update versions. You will also need to allow full access for those newer Windows Update program versions when the ZAP alerts pop up. Your Windows Update "Sites List" settings for ZAP should remain intact though.

In the past I used to just manually update at the Windows Update site and turn off Mobile Code Control before I updated and then turn it back on after all the new updates are downloaded and intstalled but I like have the auto update feature working so I figured out the solution above.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 06-22-2006 01:55 AM

mfinzel Guest

So, the problem you are referring to seems to relate to Privacy. I have everything related to Privacy on ZAP off already. I can get to the Update website no problem, as I mentioned before. For some reason, this doesn't translate over to the Automatic Updates on my computer, though.

Any other ideas?

jarvis Guest

Do you have Automatic Updates in your Program Control? Does it have permission to access the internet as well as a trust level of Super, which allows it to execute other programs? It needs both.

You could try looking in the file C:\Windows\Softwaredistribution\ReportingEvents.lo g and see what it is saying.

Also try running wuauclt.exe /detectnow and then view your ZAP logs to see if any program was blocked from starting or connecting.

mfinzel Guest

These are all great suggestions. I'll check it out.

Thread Information