Thread: Zone alarm security alert causes PC to crash

atlantic Guest

Default Zone alarm security alert causes PC to crash

Recently upgraded to ntl broadband from dial-up. Did a widespread update of software, including windows service pack 2 and zone alarm. Since I'm getting a persistentsecurity alert, which coincidently often seems to cause the machine to crash and when it doesn't "allow" or "deny"makes little difference and particularly puzzling the "remember settings" option isignored and so the access request appears ever time machine is turned on. The alert is,"LSA Shell (Export Version) is trying to communicate with C:\windows\system32\zonelabs\vsmon.exe-service by opening its process".From the little digging I've been able to understand LSA shell is windows executable which "piggybacks on other applications? but I can't get zone alarm to recognise it. Any help grateful received, before I go insane.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm security alert causes PC to crash

I think you need to reset your ZASS database especially if you changed ISP's and upgrade programs. This should also cure the memory problem ZASS seems to be having. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

atlantic Guest

The PC hasn't crashed since, thank you very much Bill.I'm re-entering the various program control priveleges as you mentioned I'd need to, it has asked me aboutLSA Shell again, would you have advice/ do you allow that particular executable internet priveleges?

billc Guest

Yes I would allow LSA Shell 'access' when requested. The Local Security Authority or LSA is a key component of the logon process in Windows.

fey42 Guest

Bill,

I hav eto "allow" LSA everytime I restart my computer even though I have checked remember. Any clues?

Thanks, Fred

Thread Information