Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocked AOPA Flight Planner Access

captainmike Guest

Default Blocked AOPA Flight Planner Access

I am brand new at this. When I try to access the AOPA Real-Time Flight Planner web site this is the message I get. What can I do? Thank you.

Users of the Real-Time Flight Planner behind corporate or personal firewalls will need to have access through the following ports.
    Flight Planner Program: port 1986
    CSC DUATS access: port 80
    CSC DUATS access: port 23
    DTC DUATS access: port 8096

The best indication that there is a firewall involved is when you start the program and it tries to connect to the three possible servers, and then fails to connect. When the program does connect to a server it will return a box asking for the AOPA username and password.

If you are using a Proxy Server, then CSC DUATS may not be going through. Firewalls commonly block port 80, and require web traffic to use a proxy server. Unfortunately, CSC DUATS connections are not HTTP protocol based, and cannot be transmitted by a proxy server. This will be shown by the following behavior: after choosing the weather information and pressing connect, you will see a connecting box, and then a connected box, but no other text. You can now choose the CSC :23 option from the Edit, Pilot menu to take advantage of this port.

To set up your firewall settings, please contact your IT department or the manufacturer of your firewall. We do not have any of the settings information due to the large number of possible hardware and software firewalls.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

billc Guest

Default Re: Blocked AOPA Flight Planner Access

See if this will work for you. In your ZAP control panel go to Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter www.aopa.org , then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

captainmike Guest

Bill,I carried out each step but it did not work. I have always been able to get to AOPA. That was not the problem. I think the AOPA Flight Planner goes through some non-AOPA sites. The message that I cut and paste in my opening message suggests some ports should be open. I know nothing about ports, which is probably obvious by now. Anyway, what can we do next?CaptainMike

billc Guest

You can open those ports with ZAP, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. First try this, go to your ZAP Privacy > Main page and turn off all your Privacy blocking. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again. If this works, I think it is a much better and safer option than opening ports. Some sites will not work if any main Privacy is on. Let us know.

captainmike Guest

Bill,I did as you said but no luck. Incidentally, the program delta.jepptech.com/ifp is the one that my computer is trying to get to for Flight Planner when the message I showed youin myk initial postingappears.Computer Medics removed my Norton Internet Security last week and installed ZA. Norton was blocking all my e-mail AND this delta.jepptech.itp site as well. Now, with ZA my e-mail is fine. It is just the Flight Planner that still won't connect. My computer is running via a wireless router(Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz) which is receiving signal from a cable modem. All my other web sites are accessing fine. Is there a possibility that this is a firewall problem within the cable modem's firewall system? Should I be calling them about their firewall? I ask this because the problem existed before ZA was loaded.Notwithstanding this seemingly logica explanation, I really don't understand any of this stuff!With appreciation,CaptainMike

billc Guest

We're not out options yet. Let's next check to see that Zone Alarm is the problem and not AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner Version 1.2.1 installation. Try this, right click on the ZA icon in your system tray and select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm'. Once it is closed, try opening the Flight Planner Application and see if it will work. Let me know what happens and we'll decide what is next.

captainmike Guest

Bill:I shut it down...still cannot access the Flight Planner. I guess it is not ZA. Any other ideas? I called the cable modem company and they have no firewall. The did wonder if the Linksys wireless router has the port 1986 open and suggested I call Linksys. Any other ideas? I have not called Linksys yet?Mike

billc Guest

I've got a couple of ideas. First, it could indeed be the Linsky router, but I doubt it. I'm sort of old fashion and tend to try to solve by process of elimation. What I would try next is to take the router out of your configuration and connect directly to your modem via an Ethernet cord. You will need to shutdown your machine, connect directly to the modem, then boot your machine; it should auto-configure for you. Then test the program. If no go, we know then it is not ZA or your router and then I'd uninstall the program via Add/Remove and install a fresh copy. If it does work, then the next step is to forward port 1986 in your router. How does that sound?

captainmike Guest

Bill,I called Linksys and they had me do as you said. I disconnected the wireless router and connected the cable modem directly to my computer. No luck. Everything works except AOPA Flight Planner. It is not the router. What next?Mike

billc Guest

I would suggest you go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, locate the Flight Planner, then click on it to uninstall it. Then download a fresh program from this site . If you are using some type of web accelerator, turn it off before you download. Does the new program work? BTW, did the old program ever work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information