Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No sharing of file or printers

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: No sharing of file or printers

Hi Barney
    The workaround to add to the trusted zone only the host was to restrict only to the computers with that name(it must be the same when setting up the network)the sharing,leaving the whole range of ip's in internet zone.This should work even if the ip's change as the computers are identified by the host. I really find strange why it stopped working after a day or two.However and as I've already told you, the risk of someone get's your LAN it
    s not high as it needs to get private ip's from your modem/router.Try again adding the network (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)to the trusted zone.This means that you are adding to the trusted zone the whole range of private ip's available.See if now it works.
    It seems that ZA is not looking up properly the ip's (I assume the ip's you mentioned 198.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.103 where obtained by the ipconfig or ipconfig /all commands).
    Best regards

barneypo Guest

Ad-Hock,

It seems that when rebooting, the two computers may assign a new IP address. Is there a way to prevent that?

I obtained the IPs by start/run/cmd/ipconfig.

After adding the network with the entire range, everything works perfectly again. Should I remove the Host/Site settings or is there a way we can make that work?

Thanks for your help.

Barney

ad_hock Guest

You have dynamic ip's and that's the reason why they change after reboot.Only using static ip's but I don't think that is necessary.But if in the items added to the trusted zone you only have the host and not the ip it should not make difference the change in ip's as the computers are identified by the netwok name (host).You don't have by any chance the computers ip's also added to the trusted zone?If yes remove them and leave only the hosts ( a long with the networks informations that ZA detected and are I suppose in internet zone exception loopback adaptor and the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers).See if this works, if not leave the network (the whole range) as danger is quite limited and possibly gives you less problems.
    Best regards

barneypo Guest

When I add the two computers and do not assign IPs to them, ZA automatically assigns IPs. Then, after several reboots in varying order of the computers, the network stops working. I wish it weren't that way but it is.

I have re-added the Wireless Network with the full range as you suggested and it works just fine. I also removed the two separate computers from ZA firewall even though I prefer that method when it works.

Thanks, Barney

ad_hock Guest

Ok Barney I understand.Leave that way as you have a additional hardware firewall the NAT modem/router.
    You're very welcome and if necessary just post and I or someone in the forum will try to help.
    My kind regards

barneypo Guest

Ad-Hock,

You have been most helpful. Thank you so much for staying with me.

Barney

ad_hock Guest

You're very welcome Barney.
    Best regards

unitedunited Guest

I have the same setup and issues as barney: laptop connected to desktop (and to internet) through wireless router/access point, with dynamic IP addresses assigned by my ISP. I applied the fix you suggested of adding the whole range of 192.168.1.0 - 255.255.255.0 to the trusted zone on ZA on both machines and this allows file/printer sharing with ZA running.

My question is, is this workaround really safer than using windows firewall (which unlike ZA is preconfigured for file + printer sharing)? It seems like there should be a way for ZA to apply the dynamic IPs as they are assigned by my ISP. I tried adding a host to the trusted zone, but zone alarm said it could not look up any of the names (wireless network, workgroup, and computer name) I gave it.

thanks,
    uu

barneypo Guest

I can't answer your question but hopefully Ad-Hock will jump back in here.

unitedunited Guest

Ad-Hock? anyone? I would really like to get your input on how to set up file + printer sharing using a host name instead of an IP range, (assuming this is theoretically safer).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information