Thread: Problem with router ip in trusted zone

jcosby Guest

Default Problem with router ip in trusted zone

I see from reading other posts here that it's generally recommended to add the router IP to the trusted zone. If I do this, I have problems accessing the Internet. There's no problem when I start my computer, but later it takes several attempts to get online. I can ping my router ip but it takes a few attempts to ping any remote site. Does soneone have an explanation for this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

jcosby Guest

Default Re: Problem with router ip in trusted zone

Let me add I have a dedicated DSL connection and the router is a TrendNet TW100.

ad_hock Guest

Hi jcosby
    And if you don
    t add the router ip to the trusted zone (security at medium) do you have internet without problems?
    If you have leave it as the other workaround is not always necessary (I run a wireless G Linksys router and have no need to do that).Anyway I
    m not seeing why you should have that problem.Try to make the ipconfig /all command (hit start-run-cmd-OK )and type ipconfig /all in the command window. See what is the ip of the default gateway and add that one to the trusted zone.
    Best regards

jcosby Guest

<blockquote><hr>Ad-Hock wrote:
    Hi jcosby
    And if you don
    t add the router ip to the trusted zone (security at medium) do you have internet without problems?
    If you have leave it as the other workaround is not always necessary (I run a wireless G Linksys router and have no need to do that).Anyway I
    m not seeing why you should have that problem.Try to make the ipconfig /all command (hit start-run-cmd-OK )and type ipconfig /all in the command window. See what is the ip of the default gateway and add that one to the trusted zone.
    Best regards
    <hr></blockquote>

It is the default gateway and no, there are no problems when its not in the trusted zone. I'm baffled, seems like problems would arise the other way around. If removed the only problem is that the logs fill up fast with requests from the router to the computer (e.g., svchost). Better this than having no connection, but it would be nice to fix it.

ad_hock Guest

Hi jcosby
    Really it's the first time I hear this.Try the following:insure that svchost.exe (GHP Win32 process)has full access in both trusted and internet and server rights,but only in trusted zone.Three green ticks and a red cross under server internet.Then without adding the router internal ip go to tab firewall main and in internet zone security click custom.In the new window check 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'.Would appreciate if you could give feed back.
    Best regards

Thread Information