Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade problem

tkeeney Guest

Default Upgrade problem

Last evening I attempted to install the latest ZA (free) upgrade on my Windows XP Pro SR2 system. During the process, my system crashed. When I recovered, I discovered that ZA is either damaged or missing and Internet Explorer does not seem to be working. The Microsoft Firewall appears to be disabled also. I can ping other systems on my network andI can see and access them on MyNetwork Places butthey cannot see me although they can ping me. I tried to use Instant Support but they want me to e-mail them and I can't run ZA to get my license key.Any ideas about what I can do to get back on the internet? Any ideas about what I can do to repair ZA?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Upgrade problem

Hi, Welcome to the Forum! PLEASE reboot your computer, while it is rebooting, start tapping F8, should bring you to the DOS Screen (Black Screen), PLEASE scroll down to where you see, "LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION", PLEASE click on that and it should bring your computer back when it was working properly. PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS. SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. tkeeney Guest

I forgot to mention that I cannot do a System Restore. I assume that is because ZA is either missing or damaged. I will try your suggestion but I don't think it will make much difference because the system boots normally. I just can't access the internet.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Here are a couple of solutions to your current problem.

1.) Give Generic Host Process Server Rights in the Trusted Zone and full Access rights. And yes, a red cross for Internet in the Server section. Empty the Trash folder in Mozilla Firebird or empty the cache from your current browser. Then empty your recycle bin. Reboot and try it again.

2.) Also add the ip's of your DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA, see this link how to do that http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056

3.) A database reset will fix the problem if Zone Alarm is the problem in the first place. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Hope this info has helped you, if not PLEASE post back, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. tkeeney Guest

Dear sly,

Sorry to be so slow with my response, I have been out of town.

I can't do what you suggest because ZA doesn't execute. I checked C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarmand it is empty except for a folder labeled "Repair". I think that during the upgrade, ZA "stealthed" my system and was in the process of loading a new copy of itself when the system crashed.

I have checked further and discovered that I can't Ping my DNS server from the broken system. Also, I can't Ping my broken system from any of the other systems on my network . I can Ping 'the other systems on my local networkfrom the broken one.I can see them all the other systems on my local network from the broken system's "Network Places" folder butthe other systemscan't the broken system. Applications that use their own browser (like Norton) are working normally over the internet and all network drives are fully functional. I also checked the integrety of my protected systemfiles and they are fine. I think my system has been put in stealth mode. Do you know how that is done and if there is something I can to to change it back?

I thought that maybe if I couldinstal a copy of ZA on the broken system I might be able to"unstealth" my system. Also If I have a copy of ZA where it ought ot be, I might be able to do a system restore. Of course I can't download a copy on the broken system butI do have other systems on my network thatare behaving normally and I do have a network drive that all systems, including the broken one, can access. If I could download a copy to one of my other systems without installing it and then share it across to the broken one and install it there, I might be able to recover.

billc Guest

Sounds like True Vector has got your system blocked. Try something if you would....boot your 'broken' computer into the Safe Mode, open a browser and see if you can then access the internet. If you can, your idea of downloading and installing a fresh copy of Zone Alarm Free might solve your problem. Let us know if that works.

tkeeney Guest

Well, for every problem there is a solution that is neat plausible and wrong. I tried your suggestion and I still can't Ping the broken system. Does that mean that True Vector is not operational? Is it a process? Can I find it and kill it? Can True Vector leave your system in a "state" that remains after it is gone? Perhaps it setssomething in the registry.I would be tempted to think that myNIC is damaged? I suppose that if it was, Norton wouldn't work. I wonder if I need a new browser? Have you any more suggestions?

Hi
    My guess there is no serious damage. I think it is just a damaged LSP. This is easily repaired with some commands in the prompt. The even easier way to do this is just download and install and run the repair tool available from majorgeeks.com and just reboot after running it. This maybe the solution. The Windows XP's TCP/IP stack is not the best or studiest and does require some repairs on occasions. This has happened to myself personally when uninstalling software that has kernel drivers involved in the networking. Download from:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

Take care and I hope this helps.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tkeeney Guest

Well,Almost Bingo! I downloaded the utility you suggested and ran it.It almost works. I am writing this from the broken system after a reboot. Unfortunately in another minute or two, I will loose my internet connection and will have to run the software and reboot. I am still playing around with it and trying to understand the limits but at least there has been some progress.

Let us try something else to this approach.

Open the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt). Where the blinking cursor ( at the end of the Documents and Settings) is type in " ipconfig / flushdns ". This is course to appear without the quotation marks and definitely must have a space between the "ipconfig" and the "/flushdns". Please, no capital letters, just the lower case letters. When finished typing in this command, then just hit the "Enter" key on the keyboard.

The result should appear as " Windows IP Configuration" and "Successfully flushed the DNS Cache Resolver". Okay now at the end of the Documents and Settings type in "exit" and hit the enter key on the keyboard. Try the reboot and see what happens.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-07-2006 05:13 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.5
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information