Thread: Switch from cable to DSL; DSL won't work

jeffal Guest

Default Switch from cable to DSL; DSL won't work

I've been reading some of the problems others have had. I have a wired desktop with a Linksys router and recently switched from cable model to a DSL with BellSouth. At first, the router would not work, but I reconfigured it and the Internet was pulling with no problems. The Internet feed worked fine for about 48 hours and I can now not access it. During this 48 hours I rebooted the computer several times. I am running ZA (free version) on Windows XP Home Edition. In talking with the DSL provider, they say it is probably ZA.From reading solutions to other persons' problems, it appears that one common problem is that the DHCP server loses the IP address or that ZA may not be allowing ping messages. I have no idea whether BellSouth pings or not.I am going to try some of the ideas I've found on the forum tonight when I get home, but wanted to post this to see if anyone else has any other ideas (as I obviously can't log online from home tonight).Thanks for any help you can offer!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Switch from cable to DSL; DSL won't work

Hi, Welcome to the Forum! PLEASE go to the following thread and hopefully it will solve your problem, if not PLEASE post back, THANKS. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=26410#M23509 BTW, I have a friend who has Bell South DSLanduses Zone Alarm Free version, but does not uses a Router. I set-up his connection, had no problems. Perhaps, you may need to reset your Router, if that is possible. PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS. SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: Switch from cable to DSL; DSL won't work

SlyFox,I first tried entering the ISPs from the ipconfig/all into the Trusted zone. This didn't work. I had downloaded the latest version of ZA (free) and took it home with me on a Flash drive. I finally uninstalled my version of ZA and reinstalled the latest version. I then entered the ISPs again to the Trusted zone. This still met with no success. I then utilized the BellSouth Help Center utility that came with activation of DSL. (I had run this several times before to no avail.) This time, I clicked on Tools and it showed the Internet connectivity was not in effect. The diagnostic said there was something wrong with my proxy settings on Internet Explorer and asked if I would like it to adjust the settings. I clicked "yes" and after that, it said my internet connectivity was okay.Ithen opened Internet Explorer and it worked just fine. So, I have no idea whether this was a ZA issue, IE issue, or a combination of the two. When I first set up DSL last week, my connection worked for about 48 hours and then was lost. Therefore, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.Thank you for responding to my question and offering some good suggestions which I did implement!

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Switch from cable to DSL; DSL won't work

Hi JeffAL You are very welcome! Thank you very much for posting back and "GOOD LUCK"! Remember, anytime you have any type of problems, PLEASE post back and someone here at the Forum will be happy to help you. Have a "GREAT DAY"! SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Thread Information