Thread: Help! PDF downloads blocked! Is it a ZA prob?

wpsm Guest

Default Help! PDF downloads blocked! Is it a ZA prob?

Starting about a week ago, I can't download PDFs in Firefox or MSN Explorer. Ffox says Object Blocked; Iexplore says Not Authorized. I have tried everything. Fiddled with settings in both browsers and in ZA, even turning all protections completely off in all three programs, and still nothing. Just a day or two before discovering this prob, ZA spent a very long time (two to three hours or more) thrashing my hard drive - accessing it uninterrruptedly so that everything, even just scrolling a window, was painfully slow. I could not for the life of me find out what ZA was doing. It WASN'T scanning for viruses or spyware - I checked. Could there be a connection, or is the timing coincidental? BTW I can open PDFs on my hard drive just fine. I'm running Adobe reader 7.0.8. Thanks. - Werner

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Help! PDF downloads blocked! Is it a ZA prob?

Try clearing your internet browser cache andcookies and possibly perform a disk cleanup. Maybe that will help.

ad_hock Guest

Hi NNard in addition to what you suggest and playing safe,I would download ewido and after update do a full system scan,and also a virus scan at Trend's House Call , Pand Active scan or Kaspersky (one of the more reliable on line virus scanners).
    Hope this helps.
    All the best
    AD

socalreviews Guest

Hello wpsm, I know you mentioned that you turned all ZA protections off but you might want to re-check your ZA settings anyway. I use Firefox for my main browser and I have experienced this PDF download problem when in the ZA program under the Privacy > Main settings the Mobile Code controls were set to ON instead of OFF. Since I like to keep those Mobile Code controls ON to block malicious code from unknown sites when I browse I go into the Privacy > Site List and enable mobile code and any other cookies or ads that need to be enabled only for that one particular trusted site to work. This becomes tedious but you only need to do it once for each trusted site that you frequently visit. Sometimes I will temporarily turn on the ZA "privacy advisor" which always helps me determine what ZA features are blocking certain sites. I have also seen having the ZA "cookie expiration" feature enabled (Privacy > Main > Ad Blocking > Custom > Cookies > Cookie Expiration) cause blocked web pages and downloads.

Finally, all that computer activity that you saw happening could have been just an Acrobat 7 update. Make sure that you have the new Acrobat 7.x program enabled for access in the ZA Program Control > Programs settings. I also suggest running some online based virus and malware scans suggested by Guru Ad-Hock just to make sure that something malicious didn't get on to your system.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-16-2006 09:48 PM

Thread Information