Thread: Blocks svhost access to dslrouter, then cannot find server when I try to log on.

kristinej Guest

Default Blocks svhost access to dslrouter, then cannot find server when I try to log on.

Hi, Please help me with this problem. I have Verizon DSLandZA free 6.5. Increasingly, I get the following Security Alert:PROTECTEDFirewall has blocked internet access to 192.168.1.1 (DNS) from your computer.[Sometimes it will say "access to dslrouter" instead]Program: Generic Host Processes for Win32 ServicesOnce this message pops up, I get the "cannot find server" message when I try to get online. I have to restart the computer and quickly log on before it happens again. However, if I'm already online when it happens, it doesn't break my connection. So I don't think this is a heartbeat issue...ZA is set to start up with Windows XP. For program settings, ZAblocks server/internet permission for Generic Host Processes and allows everything else. I've looked at the log and it just confirm what is happening -- alert says it is a UDP protocol...don't know if that means anything.I'm not a tech, so using laymen's terms would be appreciated. Thanks, kj

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Blocks svhost access to dslrouter, then cannot find server when I try to log on.

Hi KristineJFirst go to your program control o display the list of programs and than look at Generic Host Process for Win32 services (svchost.exe). If it is not seted like this,give it full access in both trusted and internet and also server rights but only in trusted zone.Deny server rights in internet zone (three green ticks and a red cross under server internet). Than add the ip's of your DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Follow this link how to do that.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056 <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">I think the problem should be solved however if you still have troubles try another workaround.In Tab firewall main, in internet zone security click custom and in the new window check 'allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Best regards

kristinej Guest

Default Re: Blocks svhost access to dslrouter, then cannot find server when I try to log on.

Thanks for your help, Ad-Hock.Adding the servers to my trusted list seems to have fixed the problem. Do you think it makes my computer more vulnerable, though? Best,kj

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome KristineJNo I don't think that your security is significantely affected. Take a look at this thread:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=8222Best regards

Thread Information