Thread: Zone Alarm blocks Spysweeper update component

rwherri Guest

Default Zone Alarm blocks Spysweeper update component

Hope somebody can help with this...I have Spysweeper configured to automatically search for and install definition updates. It is set to sweep every night at 1:00 A.M., and is watching all the time.Suddenly, it would not update. With ZA turned of, it will update just fine. With ZA turned on and uiIf I turn "Alerts" all the way up, it sends me me an alert telling me that ZA has blocked access to Spysweeper updates (without any means to unblock it). When I check Program allowances, all the components and executables for Spysweeper are set to "allow".Can someone tell me how to get ZA to allow access so my Spysweeper can run hands off?ThanxBob Herring

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

ai_tak Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm blocks Spysweeper update component

Removeall spysweeper programs (not components) from zonealarm and let it prompt you, then check for it to remember.

rwherri Guest

Thanks,That thought did occur to me, but I wasn't sure it would find it again.I'll try it tonite when I get to the pc.P.S.- as a curiosity - isn't there a way to manipulate the components?

ai_tak Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>rwherri wrote:
    P.S.- as a curiosity - isn't there a way to manipulate the components?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In what sense?

sdmarine Guest

I'm having a similar problem but I'm not sure what's causing it. I upgraded to Spy Sweeper 5.0 in late July and a few days later had to be medevac'd to Washington, D.C. When I returned a month later I discovered that none of the six computers I have networked had updated their antispyware definitions since the upgrade. I attempted to manually update but received a "Network Connection Failed" error from Spy Sweeper. I messed around with Zone Alarm deleting all entries having to do with Spy Sweeper - rebooted and again attempted to manually update. This readded the Spy Sweeper entries to Zone Alarm but still no go in updating. I subsequently tried shutting down Zone Alarm but still could not update. One weird aspect - I am also unable to connect to Webroot's website - I had hoped to download a newer version of the software but cannot do so. Other particulars - all computers have operating system Windows XP Pro SP2, Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite (latest version), and Spy Sweeper 5.0.5 build 1287. All computers connect to a Linksys router/gateway (WRT 54GS) - five wirelessly (WEP 64 bit encryption enabled), and one via cat 5 cable. The router connects to the internet via a Motorla Surfboard cable modem. Any insights/suggestions to overcoming this problem greatly appreciated. Semper Fidelis, Kerry

rwherri Guest

What I mean is, can I "check" a component as o.k., just like a program.

ai_tak Guest

Get properties for the program, if it has a digital signature select it and press details, if it verifies then it is definitely an unaltered dll from that company.

rwherri Guest

I tried your suggestion and it asks all the permission questions, but then won't connect unless I disable zone alarm again (bummer). It could be that I didn't get all the components. I'm thinking of re-installing zone alarm and letting it &quot;learn&quot; all over again. Alternatively, I may re-install the old version of spysweeper from the disk and if it works, leaving it that way. What do you think?
    Thanx for youe help.

Thread Information