Thread: No connectivity

xanadu Guest

Default No connectivity

Hello: Installed IE 7, then installed the ZA (free) firewall. Am having a strange connectivity situation. When I load IE 7 and attempt to connect to internet through a broadband connection, I cannot connect and get the usual "Page cannot be displayed" message. If I hit reload the page then displays and from that point on I can surf the net. But I always have to reload before I can connect. With the latest version of MSN Messenger, if not already connected to net, I cannot connect unless I first test connection and hit repair. It does the repair quite fine. I am a home user with no network. Thanks for any suggestions.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: No connectivity

Hi

Try a reset or the LSP in Windows. download and run this.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

There is a chance that the removal of the IE7 could fix this. The IE6 works fine with the ZA firewall. Also if there is a Google Desksearch, please uninstall it and the Google Toolbar. Both of these could be interferring with the LSP as well.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

billc Guest

In addition to Oldsod's LSP fix, you should also make sure your DNS server IP is in the Trusted zone of your Firewall > Zones panel and that you've granted Generic Host Process For Win32 Services 'server' rights in the Trusted zone of your Program Control > Programs list of Zone Alarm.

xanadu Guest

Thanks Bill and Oldsod for your suggestions. Carried them all out, but still had the problem. Find it very interesting that I cannot connect initially, but when I press reload page, the connection is magically there. Any way out of frustration I uninstalled ZA. But I do not like defeat so I installed it again and now I connect 90% of the time. I will not stop until I solve the last 10%. FYI Firefox had no problems connecting. So if I cannot solve the last 10% I guess I will return to IE 6.5 or convert to using Ffox full time until a ZA update. Thanks again guys.

Yes, the IE7 is still the beta version and not the final Microsoft release. Best is use the final release for these types of demands.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information