Thread: ZA intermittently causing cable modem to disconnect

kupi Guest

Default ZA intermittently causing cable modem to disconnect

The problem: I intermitently lose all internet connectivity. My cable modem dialer disconnects a few seconds later, and fails to reconnect."Solution" - stopping ZA "solves" the problem, and immediately allows me to reconnect to the internet. I'd rather find a better solution than that!I've been using ZA (free version) on Windows 98 for years. I'm currently running ZoneAlarm version:6.1.737.000; TrueVector version:6.1.737.000; Driver version:6.1.737.000. There's no 6.5 for Windows 98.I've had this problem on and off for a long time, but it's started to happen a few times a day, and has become a real pain.Has anyone else experienced this problem?Does anyone have a version higher than 6.1 that's supported on Windows 98 (can't seem to find such a version on the ZL site)? Maybe it's something that ZL has addresses in some later version.Thanks, kupi

Operating System:Windows 98 (original)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA intermittently causing cable modem to disconnect

First, later versions of Zone Alarm are not supported by Windows 98. But the firewall you're using is still a great firewall. I'd suggest you check to make sure both your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

Thread Information