Thread: Tray icon prevents reconnection ?

bigfish Guest

Default Tray icon prevents reconnection ?

I'm running Windows XP professional.If I right click the zonealarm tray icon to temporarily stop internet access, I cannot reconnect by right clicking it again and I have to restart the computer.Anyone else had this variation on the connection issues?What is the cure?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Tray icon prevents reconnection ?

When you stop Internet Access, it also stops your IP from being renew and you lose your DNS connection. Rather than reboot, you can select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm', wait about 20 seconds and then start Zone Alarm again which I think should allow it to reconnect without rebooting. I've not tested this process in Zone Alarm Free 6.5 but give it a go and see. This 'stop internet activity' is recommended for emergencies by Zone Labs so you may still need to reboot.

bigfish Guest

Default Re: Tray icon prevents reconnection ? Thanks Bill.

Thanks Bill,You method works.The only concern is no firewall on the connection until zonealarm restarts ?PaulSwindon, England, UK.

billc Guest

True. For the 20 seconds or so it takes to shutdown & restart Zone Alarm you're without a firewall. Frankly, I'd not worry to much about that if I were you. For testing purposes, I often shutdown Zone Alarm Pro for brief peroids. Of course it is always better not to shutdown, but short of rebooting, I don't know another solution.

ai_tak Guest

If you add your DHCP server to your trusted site zone it may allow it to re-establish your your DHCP lease more quickly, if that doesn't work try running the commandipconfig /renew *which renews your IP right away (provided the connection isn't blocked somehow)

Thread Information