Thread: ZA apparently causes freeze of ALL downloads -Please Help-

kamenoitte Guest

Default ZA apparently causes freeze of ALL downloads -Please Help-

About a week ago I began experiencing problems with every sufficiently large download. Web pages and e-mails worked fine, but any download in excess of about 1MB would fail somewhere between 1MB and roughly 5MB. By any download I include:

download of zip files etc. from www
    viewing of quicktime files online, e.g. apple trailers e.g. ultivillage.com
    download of any file through irc
    download of songs through iTunes
    ironically, download of a new version of ZoneAlarm, which I had to restart 5 times to complete

I can still download larger files with bittorrent and can stream audio into RealPlayer.

After some days of fiddling with hardware, I discovered that if I simply shut down ZA then all downloads work fine. I checked my settings and they looked fine. I upgraded ZA and had the same problems. I installed ZA Pro and had the same problems. To preclude some suggestions I should note that my DHCP server (router) and DNS servers are all in the Trusted Zone and all privacy controls are off. I see no logged events concurrent with my download problems. But if I have to turn off ZA to use the internet, something is wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this behavior and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA apparently causes freeze of ALL downloads -Please Help-

If you have all your Privacy controls set to off, then you should be able to download. It sounds like your Zone Alarm Pro database is corrupt and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

kamenoitte Guest

Thank you for your suggestions Bill. Unfortunately, they did not resolve my problems. I do have new and very confusing information that might help diagnose my problem:

1. Shutdown of Zone Alarm doesn't make the problem entirely go away. It seems to be more statistical:
    - With ZA on I can view an entire quicktime trailer online 1:10, with it off roughly 4:5
    - With ZA on my download of a huge mp3 from iTunes fails ~4 times sooner than with ZA off
    - With ZA on I can complete an XDCC download without losing connection 1:3, with it off roughly 9:10
    - With ZA on I couldn't download the WinZip installer (just for e.g.) from www but I could with ZA off.
    - With ZA on I couldn't download the iTunes installer (also for e.g.) from www but I could after two tries with ZA off.

2. Slow downloads seem to survive just fine (50Kbps e.g.) with or without ZA on.

3. Brief downloads seem to survive just fine (.5s e.g.) with or without ZA.

4. A slow download can persist without losing connection as another download fails.

I cannot think of any problem that would be triggered by non-brief, large throughput downloads but improve while not going away entirely when I turn of my firewall. Can anyone else?

Message Edited by Kamenoitte on 03-11-200603:13 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

This is puzzling to me as well. You've done a good bit of testing, are you up for some more? If so, go to your Zone Alarm Pro Privacy > Main panel and turn off all your "main" Privacy blocking...cookies, ad-blocking & mobile code. Now clean your cache and try some of the testing you mentioned just before to see if Zone Alarm Pro still is a problem. Let us know.

bkoester Guest

I too experienced very similar issues with my downloads. I don't believe the problem to be related to ZA, however. What I did was to reformat and reinstall Windows,etc. This did not solve it but what I discovered was that my downloads worked fine when I was connected to the internet directly through my cable modem. When I set up my wireless router, however, the downloads would once again begin to freeze. I downloaded and installed a firmware upgrade for my router and all has been well since. Hope this helps someone.

Thread Information