Thread: After Coming out of Hibernate and Standby Modes I Get "Server Not Found"

janenolan Guest

Default After Coming out of Hibernate and Standby Modes I Get "Server Not Found"

After Coming out of Hibernate and Standby Modes, and after getting onto the internet (dialup), I Get "Server Not Found", even though I am connected to the internet. Then I have to reboot and sign on again and all is well. I disabled ZoneAlarm and all works great so what in ZoneAlarm is causing this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: After Coming out of Hibernate and Standby Modes I Get "Server Not Found"

In my (personal) opinion, using networks and laptop hibernation isn't really a good idea anyway. Actually, on my laptop hiberation totally does weird stuff to my keyboard driver as well.
    I think what's happening is when you hibernate - the system caches the current network information on hiberate. When you come back from hiberation, it tried using that information but it's all wrong as when you hibernate you get cut off from any network or modem connection. I think that's why the firewall is getting all confused.

Default Re: After Coming out of Hibernate and Standby Modes I Get "Server Not Found"

Hi

Make sure both the DNS servers and the router (gateway) are included as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the Zone Alarm. This maybe the problem.

Also make sure the Gneric Host Process ( svchost.exe) is listed as having Trusted and Internet Zone Access and has to have Server Rights for the Trusted Zone.

Take care, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

janenolan Guest

Default Still Having Problems

I am still getting the "server not found". I took your advice and still getting the same message. After getting the same "server not found" message I disabled ZoneAlarm and then I was able to get to another web site without any problem. I am giving up on ZoneAlarm as my firewall. Thank you for all of your kind assistance but I am tired of getting this "server not found" message and having to reboot. Does anyone have any suggestion for a different firewall that is free? It's a shame as I have been using ZoneAlarm for years.

Default Re: Still Having Problems

Okay.

But first, does the Generic Host process (svchost.exe) have Server Rights for the Trusted Zone? Check that.

Also check the properties of the NIC's and see if they stay on and not off to save power. Also check the Control Panel for the Windows Power Options or the manufactures software for power management- make sure the HDD does not turn off and stays on. If the HDD turns off, so does the ZA and this alone can cause the problem in some setups.

As for your last question check out the snapfiles site or

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/se...wfirewall.html

or the fileforum/betanews site under firewalls and use the filters for free or use:

http://fileforum.betanews.com

or use the firewallguide site or:

http://www.firewallguide.com/

A somewaht more accurate info, reviewing and rating; even though the betanews/fileforum does have it's share of fanboys.

Take care,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-25-2006 12:55 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Power saving causes havoc with networking. It shuts system inactive system components and when they re-activate, the OS is often confused if it has a network or not.
    Under Control Panel, click Power Options (on some laptops, use the special utility instead).There's Power Schemes with many many options. Choose one you want and click OK.

Hi

I ripped out all of the Tosiba utilities. The Toshiba Power Saver is long gone. I had the very same issue and did some tweaking long ago. Can't remember what I did to fix it, just that it no longer exists. The Hibernate is off, but the Standby is active.

Toshiba Satellite P30

TTYL

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information