Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook 2003 Send/Receive Error 0x800CCC0F

freddyg Guest

Default Outlook 2003 Send/Receive Error 0x800CCC0F

ZoneAlarm Pro (15 day trial) 6.5.737.000XP Pro SP2Kaspersky AntiVirus 6.0
    I keep getting a sporadic Send/Receive error of 0x800CCC0F from Outlook. At times I get the EMail with no problems and at
    other times I get the error. Hitting the
    "Send/Receive" button sometimes works and sometimes generates the same error. This has been happening sporadically all day long. This is my second day of having ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky installed. No problems prior to ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky.
    Running on a 3 PC network with a DSL router.

The applications currently running are IE Explorer, Outlook and TradeStation.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Outlook 2003 Send/Receive Error 0x800CCC0F

If it is sporadic as you said, I'd suggest you try adding your e-mail sever IP to your Zone Alarm Trusted zone.Go to your Firewall > Zones panel, click on the 'add' button, select the first option "Host?Site", enter your server's URL. It will be something like mail.your_ISP.com . See if that helps.

freddyg Guest

Where do I find my EMail server IP??? My "Incoming Mail Server" in Outlook is "incoming.verizon.net". Is this what you are talking about??
    I have found that ZA is blocking an outgoing from svchost.exe to 68.238.0.12:53 when I startup Outlook. I added that address to the trusted zone but it did not help. The "Hacker Id" of this site is my ISP.
    Partial of "Hacker Id"OrgName:

Verizon Internet Services Inc.
    OrgID:

VRIS
    Address:

1880 Campus Commons Dr
    City:

Reston
    StateProv:
    VA
    PostalCode: 20191

US

NetRange:

68.236.0.0 - 68.239.255.255
    CIDR:

68.236.0.0/14
    NetName:

VIS-68-236
    NetHandle:
    NET-68-236-0-0-1
    Parent:

NET-68-0-0-0-0
    NetType:

Direct Allocation
    NameServer: NS1.BELLATLANTIC.NET
    NameServer: NS2.BELLATLANTIC.NET
    NameServer: NS2.VERIZON.NET
    NameServer: NS4.VERIZON.NET

billc Guest

Freddy. When you go to your Zone Alarm > Firewall > Zones panel, click on the 'add' button, select the first option, enter incoming.verizon.net in the 'Host Name' box, then click 'look up' and Zone Alarm will find the IP for you. Make sure you select the Trusted zone for the mail server.

freddyg Guest

I followed your instructions and added the "incoming.verizon.net" to the trusted zone and the "lookup" came up with an IP of 206.46.232.10. I shutdown Outlook and restarted it but I still
    get the same error sporadically.
    Is there a possible conflict between Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm???

billc Guest

Yes, there is a possibility of a food fight between Zone Alarm and Kaspersky. The newer versions of Kaspersky have a 'worm protection' option as part of the AV application. Effectively this is a partial firewall that blocks certain 'known' ports used by worms. If your Kaspersky has such an option, turn it off. Zone Alarm will protect you against worms and in this case more protection is not better. Also make sure in your Zone Alarm Program Control > Programs you've granted the Kaspersky program 'Send Mail' privileges as well as 'access' in both zones.

freddyg Guest

(1) Kaspersky has send mail privleges(2) I sent
    Kaspersky your comment on your "worm protection" and
    Kaspersky said they do not have anything like that in my current version(3) Kaspersky recommended this - seems like overkill to get two products to work togethar - any comments???:Uninstall ZA, Kaspersky and BitDefender with a reboot, enable XP firewall if your router does not have a FW, then do this:

1. Go through all these steps to make Norton is completely removed:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233, please do all step in the order described, even the tool you already used, you can do it in safemode for maximum thoroughness.

2. Download KisKav6Remove.zip.

2. Make a folder called Kav 6.0 on the desktop and unzip KisKavRemove into this, , reboot into safemode and run the tool (doubleclick on "avp_remove.cmd" for the 6.0 tool). This only works if you have installed Kis/Kav in the default location with Windows!

Reboot into normalmode and try to run the System File Checker (sfc.exe), this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy.

To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/').

Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow".

You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair. Sfc.exe will just stop without any other sign than the statusbar is gone!

No try to install Kaspersky 6.0 (& only this to begin with), see if this helps and post back.

billc Guest

The outline process will likely do no harm but may not be needed. Try a few other things first. First check to make sure you've granted Generic Host Process For Win32 Services 'server' rights in the Trusted zone in your Zone Alarm Pro Program Control > Programs list. Now locate the Outlook program on the same list, right click on it, then click to 'remove' it and close Outlook if it is open. Next right click on the Zone Alarm Pro icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown Zone Alarm Pro', wait about 30 or 40 seconds, then open Zone Alarm Pro again from your shortcut or 'All Programs' menu. Next open Outlook and try to send an e-mail to yourself ...you should a Program Alert, click 'allow' and the 'remember this' box. Now check your Program Control again to confirm Outlook has checks under both 'access' columns and 'Send Mail'.

That should be a lot easier, but I'm not sure it will fix the problem. If it does not, try shutting down Kaspersky for long enough to see if the mail problem goes away. I think the issue should be fixable short of the directions you posted, but I'm not sure yet.

BWT, I saw you mention Norton...do you have Norton installed as well? If Yo do, the you should indeed uninstall Norton if you're using Zone Alarm Pro & Kaspersky. From personal experience I can tell you Norton can be a real pain in the #%@#*&^ to uninstall. The directions given on the Kaspersky link you posted will do no harm and should remove any remnants of Norton hiding in the bowels of your machine. I've had to do this before just for a damn Norton upgrade!

freddyg Guest

Generic Host Process for Win32 Service: SmartDefense=System, TrustLevel=3 green bars, Access=Trusted&Internet-checked, Server=Trusted-checked, Internet-unchecked, SendMail=unchecked ;
    Outlook: SmartDefense=Auto, TrustLevel=3 green bars, Access=Trusted&Internet-checked, Server=Trusted-checked, Internet-unchecked, SendMail-checked;
    I did your suggestions and I still get the error. However, when I restarted Outlook and sent an EMail I never got a program alert - maybe ZA sets it up automatically??? The above settings are after restarting ZA.
    I "paused protection" in Kaspersky and I still get the error.
    I had Norton System Works 2005 and Spy Sweeper installed. I found a website called CastleCops that gave me a link to Symantec that removes all Norton software (supposedly) that is installed on your system. I had to go the the Symantec website and I ran the utility from there. I think it removed all products from 2003 thru 2006. The Webroot Spy Sweeper I uninstalled using Add/Remove programs. I removed both of these prior to installing ZA and Kaspersky.
    I got rid of Norton and Spy Sweeper because they were resource hogs!! Spy Sweeper (latest version) would periodically jump to 50% cpu usage and freeze everything up for seconds at a time.
    I am a day trader and during my normal work day I have a chat room open (voice and text) that I listen to all day long plus I have a trading platform open (TradeStation) that continually updates stock charts all day long. Not sure if this is causing any kind of timing issues??? Never did before.
    The CastleCops website I mentioned aboved is where I saw good reports of ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky.
    Note that I don't have problems with anything else - all appears to run OK. I just sporadically get the Outlook receiving error.
    Is there anything I can run & send to you so you can see how ZA is configured???

freddyg Guest

Bill,
    In my previous post I did a "pause protection" in Kaspersky but apparently this does not stop virus protection. With the "pause protection" I still got the error. I then shut Kaspersky down completely and the error went away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information