Thread: Losing connectivity while running Zone Alarm

vivienne Guest

Default Losing connectivity while running Zone Alarm

Hi
    I am using a Linksys router and wireless adapter. My network address should be 192.168.1.1Zone Alarm shows it as 192.168.1.0. The computer that uses the adapter loses IP address quite regularly and I have to shut down ZA to access the internet. I have tried adding 192.168.1.1 but I still have the same problem.
    I use XP PRO on my main computer and XP on the computer with the wireless adapter and ZA Pro version 6.5.737.
    Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Vivienne
    ps I originally posted this to the wrong forum

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Losing connectivity while running Zone Alarm

Hi vivienneThe ip 192.168.1.1should bethe internal router ip ,while 192.168.1.0 is the begining of the ip's range of the network that should be associated to the sub mask 255.255.255.0. ZAPro probably has detected as 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. Put this (it means your network or LAN)in the trusted zone, Now about the difficulties you mention try adding the ip's of the DHCP ( the internal router's ip if you have DHCP enabled in the router) and DNS servers to the trusted zone.Click HERE to see how to do that.Ensure also that the loopback adaptor is in trusted zone and GHPWin32 (svchost.exe) has the right permissions,full access in both trusted and internet and server rights but only in trusted zone (three green ticks and a red cross under server internet).Best regards

vivienne Guest

Hi Ad-Hoc
    Thanks very much for your response.
    Should I be adding the IP addresses to both computers?
    Sometimes I have access to a laptop - should I add that IP address to both computers as well?
    Thanks again!!
    Vivienne

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome VivienneAlthough you say that your troubles are with one computer (the one with the adapter) it would't hurt to do the same thing in the other computers.So, basically you place in trusted zone:-the network (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)-the ip's of DHCP and DNS servers (your internal router ip and default gateway is included)-the loopback adaptorAdditionally as recommended ensure the right settings for GHPWin32 (svchost.exe)Note that you don't need to add the individual computers ip addresses because when you add 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 you are covering the whole LAN ip's range and the computers ip's falls inside this range.Best regards

vivienne Guest

Ad-Hoc:
    Thank you!!! I've done all that you said and my fingers
    are crossed. :-)
    Thanks again!
    Vivienne

ad_hock Guest

You're welcome VivienneLet's hope it works and solve your problem.Best regards

vivienne Guest

Ad-Hoc:
    You'll hear from me if it doesn't. :-) but so far so good.
    You've been great!
    Vivienne

ad_hock Guest

Thanks for your kind words..If something goes wrong just post back.Best regards

Thread Information