Thread: programs

firewallprobs Guest

Default programs

In the top right square boxes where it shows programs running it usualy shows 2 svchosts and firefox. Since my last system start it shows the same but like a hand symbol under ther firefox symbol and it says listening to port 1039. What is it?? Why does it show this and why is it suddenly different

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: programs

Hi

In the ZA logs does it say that the FireFox is listening to 127.0.0.1 port 1039 ?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

firewallprobs Guest

no it has nothing in the logs about it. I always had firefox with 2 tiks and 2 ?marks. Now for some reason when I open firefox it shows the file sharing hand under the symbol and it says listening to port(port always changes with each open)
    When I put 2 ticks and 2 red X the file sharing hand disapears and it says is blocked from listening to port ++++(keeps changing)

It is probably the FireFox Updater. See if it can be disabled in the FireFox browser itself. The other alternative is to disable the File sharing itself- not an option if file sharing is used.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

firewallprobs Guest

I dont use filesharing so how would I check to see if its turned off???

Again check the FireFox browser to ensure the FF Updater is off; To disable File Sharing> Open the Properties of the Network Connections or the Properties of what is shown (usually LocalArea Connection) in the explorer> in the little window of the Properties just uncheck the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network". Reboot. Should be fixed.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-27-2006 06:11 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Wireless Security
    Software Version:6.5
    Best regards.
    oldsod

firewallprobs Guest

Ok mozilla\firefox updates are disabled. The file and printer sharing was already unchecked. rebooted.Still the same.
    Any ideas?? I dont think it matters to keep 2 red X but want to understand why this is happening

In truth the FireFox does not require any server Rights in either the Trusted Zone or the Internet Zone.

The only application, for the home user, that needs Server Rights is the svchost.exe (or the Generic Host Process). And that is only for the Trusted Zone. Plus it need access to the Internet and the Trusted Zone. No server rights for the Internet. The second application that may need Server Rights for the Trusted is some components of the antivirus. That depends on the individual antivirus itself as to what part does need the Trusted Server Rights.

In reality the only components that need access to the Trusted Zone and a Question for the Internet are the:

crss.exe
    services.exe
    lsass.exe
    winlogon.exe
    rundll32.exe
    userinit.exe
    windows explorer.exe

I set my browsers this way as well. If I click the open of any of the browsers, the ZA will ask and I just allow the Internet access on a Allow and never Remember. This way I have some secuirty from browser hijacker or PC(or OS) applications from using the browsers (it's the "must ask me first method").

The email clients of course need access to the Trusted and Internet Zones and of course email rights.

Of the other Windows Applications - they are set as ask for both of the Trusted Zones and the Internet Zones and no server rights are allowed at all. Things like the msi.exe will need the occasional access to the internet and I like the ask for All approach for the added security.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information