Thread: ZoneAlarm is blocking a site...how do I resolve?

bonowski Guest

Default ZoneAlarm is blocking a site...how do I resolve?

Here's a quick description of the problem:

I have ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6.5.737.
    My Settings:
    - Firewall -
    Interent security: HIGH
    Trusted Zone: MEDIUM

- Program control -
    Program Control: MEDIUM
    SmartDefense Advisor: AUTOMATIC

- Privacy -
    Cookie control: MEDIUM
    Ad blocking: HIGH

When I try to connect to my company's VPN, I can get into the initial log in page. I log in fine to the menu page of the VPN site. When I try to go to the portal, however, the site has problems. I connect to the site, and the login/password text boxes are there, however, all of the images are blocked. When I type in my login credentials and click submit, I get an HTTP 403 error.

I added the appropriate IPs to the Trusted Zones list. I also added the portal address and VPN address to my trusted Site List (under Privacy options), and I allowed all traffic for both sites (i.e. unchecked everything for both sites in Site Options under the Cookies, Ad Blocking, and Mobile Code tabs), and I deleted internet cache/history/cookies...However, this did not work.

The only way to get this page to load properly is when I either:

1. Disable ZoneAlarm all together
    or
    2. Turn off BOTH Ad Blocking AND Cookie Control. I have to turn both completely off, not just one or the other.

When I modify or turn off any other settings, the site still doesn't work. It only works when I turn off both Cookie Control AND Ad Blocking.

Thanks in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm is blocking a site...how do I resolve?

Your explanation was quite complete. You said you added the URL to your Site List in Privacy then unchecked everything. By that, did you mean uncheck everything on your Site List panel, or did you right click on the VPN-URL entry on the site list, select 'options' and then go through all three tabs..cookies, ads, & mobile code...unchecking everything and click 'apply' as you go through? If you have not followed the exact procedure I just described, try that, then clean your browser cache and see if that will allow it to work.

If it does not, then that tells me the Privacy JavaScript insertion used to provide functionality to your Privacy blocking for other sites is interfering with the script on the VPN login page. Likely the site requires Java to function properly and is coded such that ZASS's JavaScript insertion blocks it. In this case, you'll just need to turn off all your Main > Privacy while using that site. I hope I've helped in my explanation.

bonowski Guest

Bill, thanks a lot for the info!

Quoted text: "You said you added the URL to your Site List in Privacy then unchecked everything. By that, did you mean uncheck everything on your Site List panel, or did you right click on the VPN-URL entry on the site list, select 'options' and then go through all three tabs..cookies, ads, & mobile code...unchecking everything and click 'apply' as you go through? If you have not followed the exact procedure I just described, try that, then clean your browser cache and see if that will allow it to work."

Yeah, that is exactly what I did, and it still didn't work.

The portal page does require java. Is there any way I can do further testing if it is a java problem?

Several people have installed the exact same version of ZoneAlarm I have on a few machines and tried to connect to the portal on an external connection, through the vpn, and it works fine for them. Please note, they have the exact same settings that I do.

Is this an issue with my version of java interfering with ZoneAlarm?

billc Guest

There is no known issue for which I'm aware. Let's try something else with the site. Go to your Privacy > Site List, locate the site in question, right click on it, then click to remove it. Now right click on the Zone Alarm icon in your system tray, select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm', wait about 30 seconds, then open Zone Alarm again. Now go back to your Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter the URL again, then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again. I'm having you try this to see if the permissions for the site may be corrupt.

If that does not work, then it could be your main Privacy database is corrupt. You can reset your Zone Alarm database but you will lose all customizations...it will be like a fresh install. And frankly, I'm not sure this will fix the problem. You can reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    5. Put the site back on your Site List with all permissions allowed.

From what you've said about others using the same site with Zone Alarm, I tend to think it is your database causing the problem. Are the others using Zone Alarm Pro or ZASS as well?

bonowski Guest

Thanks again for the help!

All tests have been done on ZASS 6.5.737.

I'll go ahead an try the privacy database reset. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thread Information