Thread: Internet Explorer won't access the net

beachcoffee Guest

Default Internet Explorer won't access the net

Zone Alarm Free Version 6.5.737.000Windows XP Home SP2ISP: SBC Yahoo DSLRouter: 4 port linksys wired
    IE worked ok for 1 day with ZA then started disconnecting and showing "Page not found" messages.Set ZA Internet Zone Security to "Medium" and IE then connects.IE will not connect with Internet Zone Security set to High.Also the Yahelite chat client has disconnected a few times also due to ZA. When I disable ZA
    these propblems do not occur.Hoping to receive a reply --- Beach

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

beachcoffee Guest

Default Re: Internet Explorer won't access the net

additional comments:
    This is IE version 6When IE fails to connect and times out with a Page Not Found message my chat program Yahelite is still working. Also my email clients Outlook Express and Office Outlook 2003 still work and can access the net.

ad_hock Guest

Hi BeachcoffeeAt first look it would seem that it's related to privacy features, but you are running version free that doesn't have this features.One possibility is a corrupted data base needing reseting but before that try this: add the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. ClickHERE to see how to do that.Also ensure that GHPWin32 (svchost.exe) has the right settings,full access in trusted and internet and server rights but only in trusted zone (three green ticks and a red cross below server internet. Do one thing more.Go to your program's list locate the IE entry and right click over it and click remove. Wait a few seconds and launch IE again, ZA should pop up asking for permission.Give it and check the box 'remember....'See if this works. If not post back.Best regards

Hi and welcome to the ZA Users forum.,

Are the DNS server(s) address included as Trusted in the Zones of the ZA? Also the same applies for the DHCP.

Does the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) have Super with access for the Trusted and Internet Zones and have Server rights for the Trusted Zone (but not Internet Zone).

Oldsod

BTW Use the command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and hit enter. That is no quotation marks and a space between the ipcongig and /all. The DNS servers and the DHCP or the gateway addresses will be present and use these for the ZA firewall.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-06-2006 06:57 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi Ad-Hock

Hope all is well and things are good. Take care, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ad_hock Guest

Hi OldsodEverything is OK thanks.Take care too and all the best.AD

beachcoffee Guest

>Are the DNS server(s) address included as Trusted in the Zones of >the ZA? Also the same applies for the DHCP.

>Does the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) have Super with >access for the Trusted and Internet Zones and have Server rights >for the Trusted Zone (but not Internet Zone).
    No the DNS and DHCP servers are not included as Trusted in the Zones. I have just figured out where this is in the ZA program dialog.
    I do not see how to set the SVCHOST.EXE to "super". Maybe ZA free does not have this option.
    I can add SVCHOST.EXE to the list of programs with permissions as you state. I can also obtain the servers IP addresses and put them in as Trusted. Thank you for your reply.
    Beach

Thread Information