Thread: Sudden and random Web Traffic STOP

mamunia Guest

Default Sudden and random Web Traffic STOP

Hello everyone...

I never had this before but since a couple of weeks now, at random times, my web borswers stop connecting to any site for around 10-20 mins. Sometime blocking all traffic in ZA and reenabling it fixes the problem sooner than later. All other tcpip programs works fine except Skype, but I think because it uses port 80 for some of its connections.
    All the rest works fine as i said. Even bridged vm guest machines (vmware) run their browers happily without limitations while the host PC is having this web traffic stop. So my though is that some "upper layer" application is blocking at random my web traffic. AV is NOD32 and it has never found any threat in the last months. MS Defender is also running.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks,

Gianluca.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Sudden and random Web Traffic STOP

Do you have your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone of your Firewall > Zones panel? In case you don't know, here's how you find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

mamunia Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillC wrote:
    Do you have your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone of your Firewall &gt; Zones panel? In case you don't know, here's how you find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall&gt;Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..
    <hr></blockquote>
    Thanks for your advice. I will try it out. I am still puzzled as to why suddenly ZA need to have DNS server under a trusted zone. It has worked fine since a cpl of upgrades ago. It would be nice to know the reason of this change and why ZA during an upgrade has not notified/warned the user about this change in behaviour.

billc Guest

It's not so much your DNS server that needs to be in the Trusted zone, but your DHCP server. The reason could be a slight corruption in your Zone Alarm database in an upgrade or resulting from an unusual shutdown. Put both DNS & DHCP server IP's in the Trusted zone and see if that fixes the problem.

Thread Information