Thread: Norton AntiVirus 2007 / Zone Alarm Pro not compatible?

mrbill Guest

Default Norton AntiVirus 2007 / Zone Alarm Pro not compatible?

I just purchased a copy of Norton AntiVirus 2007.
    During installation, I was told by NAV that the program was not compatible with Zone Alarm and that ZA must be removed from the system.
    Rather than do this, I simply shut down ZA until the install was fully done, then turned it on again.
    It's only been a short while but so far the 2 programs seem to be co-existing nicely.
    Is there really a problem with the two programs that I need to be aware of, or was this just Symantec's way of trying to get me to switch to Norton Internet Security 2007?
    Thanks, Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Norton AntiVirus 2007 / Zone Alarm Pro not compatible?

I think the problem is only in the NAV 2007 worm protection feature and Zone Alarm. You should disable that worm protection option in NAV. It is redundant in that your Zone Alarm firewall already provides that protection.

While I don't know for a fact, there may be a marketing event going on to get users away from Zone Alarm.

tasman Guest

MrBill there has been a few discussion about this , check out this and do a search for more info. I have had no problems with ZA Pro since installing
    Norton and I did as you did
    for ths install. Just disable the internet worm protection as BillC sayshttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=58039Tasman

Message Edited by tasman on 10-08-200608:23 PM

Message Edited by tasman on 10-08-200608:25 PM

mrbill Guest

Hello Tasman,
    This will be hard for you to believe but I DID search before making my post . . . I did not find anything specific to NAV 2007!
    Anyway, since ZAP will handle worms for me and since NAV will speed up without worm protection, I'll turn off the option in NAV!
    Thanks for the help,Bill

tasman Guest

MrBill
    , Did a search and came up with these, Just a little more info about your issue.have a great dayTasman

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=58034
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=37189

Message Edited by tasman on 10-09-200607:46 AM

mrbill Guest

Thanks for the additional information Tasman.
    I still have a moneyback guarantee on my copy of NAV 2007 and may return it.
    Do you or anyone else have experience with the Zonealarm Security Suite's AntiVirus program?
    I'm particularly interested to know how it compares to NAV . . . a link to another thread(s) may be all that I need to answer my question.
    Thanks, Bill

tasman Guest

Sorry , I don't have and experiance with that product. Maybe you could start a new thread and I'm sure one of the guru would be able to tell about itTasman

mrbill Guest

Good idea, here's
    my post in the Zonealarm AntiVirus forum:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=14309

ibelate Guest

I thought some of you might like to hear this.
    I tried to install NAV 2007 today since my subscription expires next week but I was unaware of the incompatibility issue.
    I was shocked when it stopped me at installation and told me it was not compatible with ZA. I thought it must be inaccurate info or a push by Symantec to push people toward their suite.I uninstalled ZA, installed NAV 2007 and called the help line to ask.
    The person I talked to said "You cannot have 2 firewalls or 2 anit-virus programs running at the same time.
    I told him I was fully aware of that and I was only running Norton Anti-virus 2007 for my AV protection and ZoneAlarm Pro FIREWALL for my firewall, I was not running ZA anti-virus or Norton Internet Suite.After several clarifications and repeating myself 4 times, not to mention his offer that Norton Suites 2006 would work with Zonealarm and I could of course buy that, I repeated myself and my question one more time. Will NAV 2007 work if ZoneAlarm Pro is loaded and are they ok together. His reply was YES.I told him thank you and I would try it for 30 days.
    I told him if I found any problems I woudl be asking for a refund and switching to ZA Suite.So, I will try NAV 2007 and ZA Pro together for 30 days and see what happens.
    I am only using NAV because I have had success with it for many years now.
    I will drop it in a heartbeat to continue to use ZA though.I don't know if this helps anyone, but it was direct from Symantec Anti-virus help line.
    I will post any issues I run into.Thanks,smileyhappy: IBELATE

Thread Information