Thread: Internet Explorer blocked from connecting; other Internet access ok.

george_at_unm Guest

Default Internet Explorer blocked from connecting; other Internet access ok.

A few days ago I denied access to an Adobe program that was trying to access the Internet.
    I got a number of requests, including Application Layer Gateway and Generic Host Process Win 32, which in my haste, I denied.
    That's when Internet access stopped.
    I finally restored access for my Outlook mail, but
    Internet Explorer cannot connect at all.
    When I turn off ZA, I get a connection.
    I tried adding my DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone: still no connection for IE.
    I compared the Zone Alarm settings on the problem PC with others in my home that are running ZA and working fine, but I cannot detect any difference that would cause the connection problem.
    The problem is just with Internet Explorer.
    I obviously set some parameter incorrectly, but cannot figure out from the log what I did.
    Help is appreciated.George

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Internet Explorer blocked from connecting; other Internet access ok.

First ensure Generic Host Process Win32 (svchost.exe) has the right settings, full access in both trusted and internet and server rights but only in trusted zone (three green ticks and a red cross below server internet). Then go to your programs list locate the entry for IE and right click on it a click remove.Wait about 30 seconds and then launch internet explorer and in the pop up click allow and check the 'remember.....If this works, reboot and see if ZA still remembers the settings and IE can access the internet. If none of this works I'm afraid you need to reset your ZA data base.Click HERE to see how.You loose all your customizations and need to build a fresh data base.Best regards

george_at_unm Guest

Default Re: Internet Explorer blocked from connecting; other Internet access ok.

Thanks, Ad-Hock.
    I got impatient after sending my original message and did a clean install of the program.
    I don't have many customizations, so this wasn't a loss.
    Of course, everything is working fine now.I will keep your first method on file for the next time I mess up.
    George

ad_hock Guest

You're welcomeYou did OK and I'm glad it works now.Best regards

Thread Information