Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to Shutdown ZA to access the internet sometimes

gozar Guest

Default Have to Shutdown ZA to access the internet sometimes

I keep having to shutdown ZA to get out to the internet, or reboot my PC.
    I haven't noticed a time of day, usually happens after my PC has been up for awhile.
    I can still access my wireless router, just can't get out to the internet.
    If I turn it back on, usually I can't get out again.
    However, sometimes I turn it off and back on several times I can eventually get out and leave it up.
    XP Pro SP2Zone Alarm version 6.5.731.000TrueVector security engine version 6.5.731.000Driver version 6.5.731.000

Default Re: Have to Shutdown ZA to access the internet sometimes

Sounds like your DHCP server at your ISP isn't getting your router a new IP address when the old one expires. If you still have access to your Router, then the network is working. Do you have a static IP address or a dynamic one (from your ISP)?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

gozar Guest

Maybe my description was misleading and I din't make a clear distinction between shutting down my router and Zone Alarm.
    I don't have to touch the router, if I shutdown ZA, I get right out to the internet.
    So, it's not an issue with my ISP.
    If I turn ZA back on...same issue.
    Sometimes if I turn ZA back on and off several times, I can continue to get out to the internet but it will eventually stop the connection again.
    I can either reboot
    my PC and it will stay up, or
    shutdown ZA.
    Seems to happen after the PC hasn't been used for a while.

blinder Guest

I am having this very same problem but even spookier. I have 2 machines, Gateway GT4016's, running MS Media Edition, with gobs of memory, bandwidth, and disk space. I run Zone Labs Security Suite on both. Google, signed in or not as the home page, on both machines. My machine almost never (98.5) has a DSL connection problem. My wife's machine almost always does have a DSL
    connection problem. However when she has a problem I am unaffected. The modem and router are on her side of the room. If I restart her machine things are fine for a time. If I shut down ZA on her machine things are fine. I never "agitate" the modem or router. I have tried to match her ZA settings to match mine but that seems to have no effect. What is a Mother to do?

charlie36 Guest

I am also having the same problem.
    Just the same as others - IT IS NOT A IP PROBLEM, "ITS A ZA PROBLEM".
    My Internet connection = "DSL Modem - NAT - Switch". I turn off power to my Switch to disconnect myself from the net while I dont need it. (For security reasons, why be on when you dont need to)
    I boot Pc and turn on switch, internet connection is fine. Turn off switch and continue to use PC for other means for an hour or two then turn Switch back on for the net. This is when problem occurs, NO INTERNET CONNECTION.
    ZA recognizes the new connection but does not allow access. Tried everything, all but turn off ZA, to NO affect.
    With everything "as is" I shutdown ZA then restart and BINGO we have net connection.

PLEASE ZONEALARM - ANY IDEAS

My system
    XP Pro - all updates
    CA (VET) antivirus suite
    Latest ZA Pro

darby Guest

Have you gotten any solutions? I have same problem. Thanks. darbynorman@yahoo.com

darby Guest

Have you found any solutions? darbynorman@yahoo.com. Thanks.

oldgreybeard Guest

I am also having a problem getting to sponsored links on google searche.
    I sometimes get through after turning off the firewall, but not always.
    If I use the high safety setting for the internet I can't even get ebay searchs to function.
    Swiching to medium is better than high.
    I didn't have any of these problems with my old Zone Alarm Pro until I updated.

darby Guest

Thanks for reply. There's a web site donhoover.net that is referenced in the forum but I haven't figured out if it has an answer. If you do please let me know.

darby Guest

Also see FAQ's on this board. Darby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information