Thread: zonealarm free will not work with 128 k connection

jamcar Guest

Default zonealarm free will not work with 128 k connection

I have been using the free version for many years. with the dialup connection. Which by the way still works fine. I am unable to use the 128 connection with the free zonealarm. I have tried a clean reinstall but it has not worked. When I shut down the zonealarm the webpages load in.
    Please be elementary with your suggestions as I donot understand all that router business.The internet company tells me I donot need a firewall that I am behind theirs.I am not sure that would help in the case of any viruses. trojans, keyloggers. I do have avg, spybot, spyblaster,x-cleaner running. They seem to all play nicely together. But for some reason Zonealarm seems to have developed an attitude. Thanks J.C.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: zonealarm free will not work with 128 k connection

Does your computer connect to the internet directly or through the use of a router or internet sharing connection with a second computer? Your 128k connection is a cable or dsl connection
    ?

jamcar Guest

to Ledouc: I am not sure that I have this in the right place. I have a box that connects to the telephone line. I have been told it is not a true dsl line. The box is a Lynx 220 Starbridge. It works great when it works. thanks J.C.

need more information .
    I am assuming this computer does not share your internet connection with any other computer...correct?Please open up the command promt and type
    "ipconfig /all". This will give you the ip addresses for your computer, the modem and the dns server. Write them down then go to Firewall>Zones and click on the add button and add the "default gateway" and "subnet mask" to the trusted zone.
    see If this fixes the problem.

jamcar Guest

I didnot get to follow your advice.I had uninstalled the zonealarm to get another firewall to work.To which I might add
    are very complicated.
    Now I cannot get it to reinstall.I keep on getting an error that true vector is running to go to the service messenger and shut it down. I donot know what the heck service messenger is or where to find it. I have tried a restore to previous versions, the zonealarm gives me the same message. Thanks J.C P.S. I went to the task manager but I couldnot tell which file is associated with zone alarm.

jamcar Guest

Sorry same message as above. I forgot to check the email box reply below.For Ledouc:I didnot get to follow your advice.I had uninstalled the zonealarm to get another firewall to work.To which I might add
    are very complicated.
    Now I cannot get it to reinstall.I keep on getting an error that true vector is running to go to the service messenger and shut it down. I donot know what the heck service messenger is or where to find it. I have tried a restore to previous versions, the zonealarm gives me the same message. Thanks J.C P.S. I went to the task manager but I couldnot tell which file is associated with zone alarm.

Sounds like your uninstall did not completely remove Zonealarm. You need to manually uninstall the rest of the program to get the True Vector to stop interfering with you installation. Follow the instructions at the following link. Make sure to set folder options to allow you to see hidden and system files and do file deltions in safe mode. Any step you can no longer do just skip and go on to the next step
    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html

jamcar Guest

TO ledoc: Whew what a hair raising experience. The directions on the link were unclear about whether or not to delete those files listed in the systems 32 folder. I did it anyways. Okay, I reinstalled the program and it is working for now. I have not entered the information on the ip config firewall into the zonesShould I go ahead and do it or should I leave well enough along and save that for a rainy day. I was able to restore the computer to the point before I put in the other firewalls. Thanks J.C.

If your firewall and internet connection are working then you are correct to leave well enough alone. Glad to hear all worked out for you!

Thread Information