Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm blocking ALL my incoming emails on port 110 !!!

azkid Guest

Default ZoneAlarm blocking ALL my incoming emails on port 110 !!!

After several hours speaking to Earthlinks techies about not being able to receive any of my incoming emails per their suggestions
    I disabled ZA. The diasabling of ZA instantly allowed me to receive my incoming emails again. How can I get ZA to allow port 110 to remain open so I can receive my incoming emails?
    I am using the free version of ZA ver.6.5.737.000 with Win XP Home Edition
    Any help would greatly appreciated.
    AZKID

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm blocking ALL my incoming emails on port 110 !!!

Try adding the address of your mail server to trusted zone of ZA.
    Best regards

azkid Guest

Default AD-Hock .. I need additional Info please

Hi
    Can you please
    walk me thru the steps to set my Earthlink email server to a trusted zone setting? I am new at this and would appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    AZKID

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: AD-Hock .. I need additional Info please

If you use Outlook Express go to tools acounts select your account and see properties.See the address for the incoming server,it should probably pop.yourISP.(com) depends from your country. If you have problems talk to your Provider,Earthlink and ask them the address of the incoming mail server.Than go to firewall zones and in the box at the bottom click add and choose host/site.Enter the address you got either from OE, either from your provider and add it,enter a brief description and ensure the zone is setted to trusted.
    Best regards

azkid Guest

Thanks Ad-Hock. That solved the problem!
    AZKID (from Arizona) :8}

ad_hock Guest

You're very welcome AZKID
    Best regards

azkid Guest

Hi Again Ad-Hock
    I guess I jumped the gun
    ..... because I followed your instructions and the incoming emails worked great. But when I logged on today
    once again I was prevented from getting my incoming emails. I doubled checked the ZA settings and the email server information that I previously entered per your instructions was still there and shown in the trusted zone.
    I don't know why this is happening again after it worked fine yesterday?
    Once again I need your help.
    Sincerely,
    AZKID

ad_hock Guest

If you shutdown ZA can you get the emails?If yes let's try a reseting of ZA data base to see if there are some corruption that makes the ZA forget the setings.The down side is you loose all your customizations and need to build a fresh data base,but there are chances it may work.Click HERE how to do that.After the reseting when your programs start asking the permissions to build the setings again (that is the data base), add again the mail income sever address as you did before.Hope this will solve the problem.Good luck and best regards

azkid Guest

Hi Ad-Hock
    Yes, if I shut down ZA I can receive my incoming emails. Also Windows SP2 allows my incoming emails to be received. But I am reluctant to use SP2 as my firewall because it really doesn't give me any feedback like ZA on what the heck SP2 is really doing in the background?
    I had one more idea (which may be dumb) but I was thinking if I reloaded the last update to ZA and selected a clean install ( I am not sure that is
    the exact wording)
    won't that clear out the database
    and give me a fresh starting point?? (wondering?)
    Thanks again Ad-Hock for your advice.
    AZKID

ad_hock Guest

Hi AZKID
    There are three things you can do:
    1- If you want to stay with ZA version 6.5 reset the data base following the instructions from the link I gave you in my previous post.This will provide you a fresh data base, and it is like you had just install ZA.You need to start giving the necessary permissions, that is start building a fresh data base.
    2- You may also keep the last version(6,5) just like you said,doing a clean unistall and after a clean install of that version, that is when running the installer previously downloaded and when asked choose clean install.I gave option 1 first because it's easier and you don't need to uninstall and install.
    3-Returning to a previous working version.It's like point 2 except you download the installer from a previous version that gave you less troubles then version 6.5 (there are not so big security differences between last version and the previous).
    So, if you want my advice try point 1 first, it's quicker and it may solve the problem and you keep the version you have.Read my previous post and you find a link how to do the reseting.Another thing, you are completly right about sp2 firewall, it may give you incoming protection as it stealths your pc,but doesn't give you any outgoing protection.
    Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information