Thread: Apparent conflict ZA firewall and AVG Free anti-virus

rodell Guest

Default Apparent conflict ZA firewall and AVG Free anti-virus

Please accept fact I have thoroughly researched this subject to include several reinstallations/updating of the AVG program, as well as the Help tab hereon and countless suggestions
    in Instant Answers -- many of which almost hit the target, but not quite.
    Admittedly, my inexperience and unfamiliarity with many aspects of Windows XP contribute to this frustrating problem.
    At StartUp the AVG icon (in color) appears routinely on lower task bar. Few minutes thereafter a box appears saying email protection not Fully Functioning (icon goes to black/grey).
    I urgently need your help in providing exact specific detailed path to resolve problem here on ZA. I do understand that at someplace I should disable something, and at another enable, but I'm lost.
    Just where and what must I do to allow AVG email protection resume Full Function, and not interfere with ZA overall functioning ?
    Will be grateful for your help!

Sincerely,
    RO

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Apparent conflict ZA firewall and AVG Free anti-virus

I am not entirely certain this is a ZoneAlarm problem, as It has happened to me several times. TO make sure its not a ZA problem, place your program control on medium. Go to the alerts and logs section in ZA, and turn program logging on high. After the next reboot, check the program section in the log viewer and see if anything got blocked. While you are trying to find out the problem, just open AVG and click the e-mail filter section, and click activate below that.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

rodell Guest

Thank you, Guru. Have responded at your website.
    Cordially,
    RO

OK. Place your program control on medium. To do this open ZA, and on the left side click the words Program Control. Now click the tab along the top that says main. Then the top box below the tabs is the program control area. Slide the slide to Auto. This places ZA back into learning mode. Now go on the left side again and click the words 'alerts and logs'. Click the main tab there as well (along the top). The bottom box is the program logging section (third box down). Make sure the radio button for high is selected. After the reboot, you need to go back into ZA and click on the alerts and logs section again. Now click the logviewer tab on the top. Right below the tabs is two drop down boxes. On the right one click the down arrow and select program. Now check just the entries from since the date and time that you rebooted the computer last, and see if any programs that are listed are from AVG. You can reorder the list by clicking on the titles of the columns.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

rodell Guest

Much appreciate your detailed response, Hoov.I'll get onto it ASAP tomorrow.Cordially,
    RO

rodell Guest

Most disappointing, Hoov.
    Must be we're on different versions of ZA although I downloaded/updated latest free version. Here results:
    At PROGRAM CONTROL: no slide to AUTO setting; just High/Medium/Low/Off. I'm at MED and cannot slide up to High without PRO Version.
    At BOTTOM BOX /ALERTS & LOGS, only one box not three. ALERT TO......SHOWN with radio buttons ON/OFF, I'm at OFF.Click ADVANCED LOG ACTIVITY checked; LOG ARCHIVE -- BROWSE/DELETE/Current Log Size 637 bytes/LOG ARCHIVE APPEARANCE: Tab/Comma/Semicolon (checked).
    Your second para: ALERTS & LOGS: no two boxes side-by-side. Top one, RATING, several screen loads vertically & horizontally full of entries (Protocol, etc.).

What appeared was AUTO LOCK radio buttons ON/OFF. My setting, OFF.BOX below, ENTRY DETAILS with "greyed out" two choices.
    After inadvertent clicking something, the greyed out boxes came active: two choices: Add to Zone/More Info.

DESCRIPTION Packet sent from 65.32.2.99 to 24.21.87.4...RATING Medium; DATE/TIME 2006/11/01 17 14:56. 5:00 GMT.
    TYPE: Firewall.
    FYI, once again the AVG colored icon normal at StartUp, switching to grey-black "email not fully functional" several minutes later.
    With your expertise I was confident you'd resolve this most annoying anomoly. When you have time (and inclination!), what next ?
    Cordially,
    RO

rodell Guest

Don, I recognize the time-limits on your volunteer status, and have no intention of imposing.
    I thought I had replied to your last message, but the point is, at
    "open AVG and click the e-mail filter section, and click activate below that", I simply could not find it.
    The Program Section of Log Viewer affords three choices: Test/Help/Updates -- no filter section did I find.
    Cordially,

<a href="http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/view_profile?user.id=250" target="_blank">
    </a>

Thread Information