Thread: Problems making youtube videos play.

farferello Guest

Default Problems making youtube videos play.

I often watch music videos on youtube and I installed Zone Alarm this morning and now I can't play any videos on the site. I looked through and did searches for similar problems and I've edited the Privacy information for the website but I still get the same error. It either won't let me play any videos at all and just spazzes a little, or it allows me to play about ten seconds worth and then just stops.

I haven't had this problem before and I'm not sure what else I can do to try.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

billc Guest

Default Re: Problems making youtube videos play.

You're on the right track by adjusting your Privacy settings. See if this will clear everything up for you. Go to your ZASS > Privacy . site List, click on the 'add' button, enter youtube.com then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again. The reason you have been having problems after you adjusted your Privacy settings is you did not clean your browser cache.

farferello Guest

Thanks for the reply. I tried all of that, including cleaning the cache and it still refuses to play the videos. I tried a few differeny videos I have added to my favourites and it'd play 2-5 seconds and then it would just stop. I've waited to see if it loads anymore but it doesn't.

I made a friend check just incase but the videos worked fine for her.

billc Guest

Try a test if you would. Go to your ZASS Privacy > Main panel and turn off all your main privacy blocking..cookies, ads, & mobile code. Now go to YourTube and see if the videos play for you. Let us know.

farferello Guest

Hi, whilst youtube is loading slow (it was doing this a few days ago before I had Zone Alarm anyway), I've been able to load over two minutes of video so far with doing what you suggested in the previous comment. Does this mean that anytime I want to visit youtube I have to completely knock off those Privacy sections?

Message Edited by Farferello on 11-03-200604:05 PM

billc Guest

Actually you should be able to 'customize' the YouTube site without turning off all your Main Privacy blocking each time you want to go to the site. In my first response to you I outlined how to customize the site but you said that did not work. That's why I asked you to turn all Privacy blocking off as a test. This suggests to me that maybe your Privacy database in ZASS has gotten corrupt. Try a database reset followed by a customization of the YouTube site.

Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Now follow the steps in my first post to customize the site. Make certain you go through all three tabs in 'options' clicking 'apply' as you go through. Just putting green checks across the YouTube entry will not have the same affect.

Thread Information