Thread: mac cannot open folders on pc

alba Guest

Default mac cannot open folders on pc

My ibook finds the folder on my PC but cannot open them . I get some error message. I have the subnet added and the ip address of the mac. When I uninstall zonealarm everything works great , so I know the issue is the firewall

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: mac cannot open folders on pc

Forgive me but I'm a bit confused (which is not all that unusual). Are you using a Mac? I didn't know you could load XP on a Mac.

alba Guest

Hi, I am using a pc ,But, if anyone using the ibook wants to share the documents or music on the PC they cannot because of zone alarm blocking the mac. When zone alarm is uninstalled you can quite happily listen to / or share the public folders on the PC.

billc Guest

Are you on a LAN?

alba Guest

Yes,

also on pc the ibook is placed in the local network and not internet zone, if this helps.Thanks

billc Guest

In the Trusted zone of your Zone Alarm Zones panel, you should have your LAN and subnet looking something like this 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 . You will also need to put your Trusted Zone security slider on 'Medium' and not 'High'.

Just for those who don't know - you can put Windows XP on the new Mac notebooks using Apple's Bootcamp (supply your own copy of Windows XP)

billc Guest

Thank you for that...I didn't have a clue.

alba Guest

Hi Bill I reinstalled zone alarm
    and set it like you said, I have my lan setup and I also put the ip address of the ibook in there . I still get a " alais has changed or moved message from the mac ",
    when trying to access folder on the pc, even with the firewall turned off for the trusted zone. Everything on the network see's everything else with no zonealarm but not when the firewall is installed.Thanks for all the help

billc Guest

Can you ping the PC? What I think you've said is that the ibook can't even 'see' the PC, correct? Are you sure you have the proper IP for the notebook in the Trusted zone of the PC's ZASS?

Thread Information